007. Back to School

EMMA'S POV

EMMA'S POV

Steve and I had spent the rest of our winter break together. We got along really well and he reminded me of Billy when Billy wasn't a total asshole. He showed me around Hawkins and introduced me to some of his friends. Most of the people seemed like they were pretty nice, but I'd learned to be a little more careful with that since I'd thought Carol AND Tina were nice and they'd both turned out a little differently. Steve picked me up from my house. My parents had already left for work, so I didn't have a ride.

"Hello Steveroni," I giggled as I hopped into his car.

"That is easily the lamest nickname I've ever been given," he laughed, "You ready for this?" I shrugged in response. "I don't know you schedule, but meet me wherever we park for lunch? The cafeteria tends to get a little crowded," he said.

"Yeah, totally," I smiled. We got to the school not too long after, and we parked in a vacant section of the parking lot. I grabbed my backpack and stepped out of the car at the same time as Steve. I walked over to his side of the car and just as we were about to start walking to the school, Billy pulled up. His car's tires screeching against the pavement as he slammed on his brakes. He parked right next to Steve. We hadn't talked since the night of our fight. My mom had told me he'd come around to look for me a few times while I'd been out with Steve, but I hadn't bothered to contact him.

"We need to talk," he said as he got out of his car and walked to me.

"I don't think she wants that, Billy," Steve spat. I looked at Billy's eyes. They were full of regret and hurt. I placed my hand on Steve's arm and he turned to me.

"It's okay Steve, I'll meet you where we said for lunch, yeah?" he nodded and started walking away, but not before shooting Billy a harsh glare. "What do you want Billy?" I asked.

"Why the hell are you hanging out with Harrington?" He asked, "You know what, that doesn't matter. I need to explain what happened at that party," he said. I rolled my eyes and started walking away, but he held me back, "Emma I didn't kiss her," he said, "She came up to me while I was looking for you and she kissed me. I would never do something like that to you." I scoffed and shook my head.

"Okay, Bill. Let's say you're telling the truth. What about Tina, huh? Are you going to tell me you didn't sleep with her after I spilled my heart out to you and you told me you liked me too? Do you just expect me to ignore that?" I asked, "I don't know what happened to you, but the Billy Hargrove that I know would never do something like that to anyone, much less me." I turned to walk away, but he pulled me back once again.

"I made a mistake," he said, "I didn't think things through, Emma. Things haven't been easy for me since I left California, and I guess I just thought this was too good to be true, so I acted out. Just like I have been since I moved to his stupid town. I regretted it so much afterwards, Em you have to believe me." The bell rang, signaling we had a few minutes to get to class. I still had to pick up my schedule.

"We'll continue this later," I said, "I gotta go get my schedule."

"I'll come over after school," he said. I nodded and sighed as I made my way to the main office. The rest of the first half of my day there was a little boring. We basically just jumped into learning. I met with Steve for lunch and I was so glad I didn't have to go through that whole awkward where should I sit thing during lunch in the cafeteria. We sat on the hood of his car just laughing and talking. I was glad that he didn't bring up what had happened that morning. Steve was a  very sensible and caring guy. He was everything you could ask for in a best friend.

"Do you know chief Hopper?" I asked as I took a bite out of my food.

"Yeah, he's a total badass," he chuckled, "why?"

"I'm babysitting his daughter after school starting tomorrow, I think," I told him, "Have you met the little girl?"

"Yeah, she's a total badass too," he said, making me laugh, "She seems like an interesting kid, haven't spent too much time with her." I nodded and continued eating. "So what happened this morning after I left?"

"Billy just said he wanted to talk," I sighed, "I don't even know if I should believe him or not, but I can't not listen, ya know? We've been friends since we were in diapers."

"Yeah, I get you," he said, "I'm here if you need me though."

"Can we go to the diner later?" I asked. He smiled and nodded. The bell rang. "Great, I'll call you later once Billy leaves?" He nodded again as we hopped off the hood and made our way back inside the school. The rest of the school day flew by. I grew more and more nervous to talk to Billy as the day went on and I didn't know why. I met him in the parking lot. Steve's car was gone by the time I got there.

The ride to my house was quiet. I couldn't believe how quickly things had fallen apart between us. I'd been in Hawkins for less than a week when our friendship had already fallen apart. He tried reaching over at one point to grab my hand, but I pulled away. I didn't want to make him think anything he'd done was okay or that me forgiving him would be that easy. Once we parked in my driveway, I got out of the car almost immediately. Billy followed me inside and up to my room. I sat on my bed while he sat at my desk.

"Ems," he began.

"Don't call me that," I groaned.

"Emma," he corrected himself, "I'm sorry about Tina." I waited for him to say something else, but he didn't.

"That's it?" I laughed in disbelief.

"I'm owning up to it Em," he said, "I know I fucked up, but I don't want to lose you, I can't lose you."

"Steve told me," I muttered, "everything." His face fell further and he shook his head.

"I regret it all," he said, "Maybe I didn't at first, but I do now. I don't want you to have that image of me. I don't want anyone to have that image of me anymore. Just give me a chance Em." I stayed quiet for a while. I couldn't figure out what to do, but I nodded. "I don't know what I would've done if I lost you, baby," he said as he walked over to me. He was about to plant his lips on mine, but I turned my head.

"I don't want to give you a second chance romantically," I mumbled, "Not yet at least. We can be friends again, but I need some time." He nodded.

"Can we do dinner tonight? I've missed you," he said.

"I can't" I told him, "Steve and I are going out to the diner." He frowned and nodded. He said he should probably get going and I walked him down to the door. "Billy," I called out as he opened his car, "Pick me up for school tomorrow?" His face lit up immediately and he nodded. I waved him off before walking back inside.