Flight: A Shape Shifter Story Part 7

I know this is short...but my old computer died and I finally got a new one...And its summer. So the next parts will be out really soon :)

Aderyn's POV

Two hours later, the best word to describe our situation was "tense". Xeno was next to me. Daemyn stalked forward several yards ahead of us, after Xeno had made a comment about not letting "hostile males" be at his back. After failing to talk me out of leaving Daemyn behind, he had retreated into his own world, leaving me alone with my thoughts. The quiet was nerve racking, as it allowed my mind to create all sorts of wild fantasies.

I already knew that he wanted to recapture me, but how would he do it? Send out dozens of other shifters to bring me down? Or whack me on the head with a rock as soon as I was in view? No, that wasn't Leonel's style. He would want it done with fashion. Elegantly, almost. He would lure me into an enclosed space, talk his head off and then reveal that I had stepped in a trap. A few hours later I would wake up in his citadel bound and with no hope of escape. And then I suppose that I would be forced into marrying him. And then...

I cut off my thinking. I was so not going there.

Focus, I told myself. The goal is to get the picture and escape.

That picture.

That stupid, stupid picture.

If it didn't exist, I wouldn't be in this situation now. I could be flying hundreds of miles away to freedom.

If it didn't exist, I would not remember my parent's faces.

But did I really need to have it back?

Daemyn stopped suddenly. "We're here."

"Estherlock?" I pushed past him, to peer through the trees. The sun had already sank below the horizon, and the last tendrils of dusk illuminated the small village.

Estherlock was a mere couple dozen buildings, settled along a short section of a huge lake, lake Lock. The people made their living off of fishing; that was obvious from the pier and docks. Large stalks of grass and marshy plants encircled the lake, violet wildflowers sprouting everywhere. The village was settled on a large grassy area, which soon gave way to forest-covered hills. The outline of taller mountains was barely visible. Smoke curled up into the twilight sky, as people gathered around the fire. The scene could have been described as peaceful, but I knew that Leonel was here. The Master of All lay in wait.

We headed down to the communal fire first. Xeno had reverted back to being a ten year old, but had changed his skin and eye color so he could "look like my brother". Daemyn hadn't commented, but I had seen him watching X when he had changed his appearance.

"Welcome, travelers." A large, weather worn woman met us. "Sit and join us."

"Thank you," I said, and we sat together. The villagers curiously regarded us, whispering among themselves.

"My name is Keen, leader of Estherlock. Where do you come from?"

"I'm Ryn, and this is my brother, Xeno and my friend, Daemyn. We have traveled through the forest, from the town of Hangleton."

Keen nodded slowly. "What brings you to Estherlock?"

"We need provisions and rest, more then anything." I smiled. "We also wished to see the great lake."

We exchanged more talk, and then Keen led us to a small cabin that was conveniently located near the pier. It was an hour to midnight.

Spy's POV

Damn it. I ground my teeth together as I watched Aderyn. She stood at one of the windows of the cabin that the old wart had given us, and stared out at the lake. My orders had been to get her to that building on the pier. Alone.I had to get rid of that other male; but she refused to listen to me. Which meant that the only other option was to remove him myself.