Screams in the dark

Chapter 1

Screams in the dark

Twenty seconds, nearly there. Twenty seconds and she would reach the gate. She looked around to see him. Tall, masked. Eighteen seconds.

"I'm going to catch you Jade."

Jade, was that her name? She'd forgotten. The adrenaline was pumping through her body too fast. She could hear the blood thumping between her ears. Was this it? The end? She could sense nothing but fear and desperation clawing through her body.

Seventeen. She turned around once again to see him. He walked, she ran. Why was he walking? She had a chance. She was nearly there. The black gates were just in sight. There was still hope. She called for help but there was know one there. She ran, faster and faster.

Sixteen seconds. So close. She tripped on something,a bump in the path. She crashed to the ground so hard she cut her hands. The girl flipped over so she could see her pursuer. He walked closer until she could see his eyes. A brilliant shade of yellow. Terror struck her face. She couldn't die, not here, she was so close. She cursed the bump in the path. Screaming again and she kicked out. It didn't bother her pursuer. He slowly reached down to her with his gloved hand and pulled her up by the neck of her shirt. Struggling, she kicked out again. The masked man stumbled a little which allowed the girl to break free of his grasp. She staggered but managed to balance herself enough to start running.

Twelve seconds. Eleven, ten. Nearly there. Nine, eight. She was so close, all she needed was to get to the gate and she'd be safe. Seven, six, and then it all failed. The masked man pulled her back firmly, once again making her clash to the hard pavement. The pain was excruciating. She kicked and screamed again but it wasn't enough to break his grasp on her.

The man in the mask simply stared at her with those piercing, yellow eyes like the girl was an attraction or an animal at a zoo. One hand around her neck and the other reaching for the knife in the pocket of his black robe, covering him from neck to toe. His mask was made of rusty metal with scratches all over its jagged exterior. His robe, as black as a ravens soft coat, blew in the soft wind of the cold, damp alleyway.

The girl, Jade, stared at the knife. It was so close to her she could see her shining reflection in its curved blade. The taste of salt from her tears was so powerful it was the only thing that mattered. And then everything went silent. There was a short pause in which the only sound was her soft panting. The knife was raised above her head,then everything went dark. And that was the end of the terrified girl in that terrifying alleyway.