I Am Saving For A TV

Start from the beginning

She didn't look as shocked as most people would when I say that.

"My mom died when I was 11, so I guess we both have the same feeling," Her teeth come together when she makes an s sound, d sound, and t sound.  Her teeth don't come far apart when she talks in general.

"Do you have an articulation problem?"

"Okay, Shaun I think that's-"

"Yes, I do.  I was in a speech program at school and since I went to school until I was 11, I didn't get any more help, I was always good at math so then I bought math books from the store with the money I got from my mom's will.  Now here I am, a bank manager/teller."

"Amazing," I said.

"I-I guess so."

Another few minutes of silence.

"Okay!  The papers are all done!" Glassman pushed them towards her with his right hand.

"Then you guys are all set!" He walked out of the room but I just sat there, staring at her.

"You can leave now," she said.

"I know, but I want to keep talking to you." Her face turned pink, she is embarrassed.

"But there isn't anything to talk about."

"Yes, there is," I said, "I want to talk about you."

"Shaun!" Glassman was standing in the doorway of the entrance, waiting for me to follow him.

"He can stay with me for a few more minutes, he just want's to talk," Beverly told him.

Glassman walked out of the building and into his car, but he didn't drive away.

"What more is there about you?" I turned and asked.

"I have Cynophobia and Thalassophobia." She said calmly.

"So you are afraid of dogs and the ocean?"

"Yes, what about you?"

"I'm not afraid of anything really."

"But there must be something about you, and I already told you about myself." She waited for me to say something.

"I have autism.  I also have savant syndrome."

"I think I read about that in a book once, isn't it when you are intellectually smarter than most?"

I didn't respond.

"That must be correct since you aren't saying anything."

"I don't like being asked question's." I told her, "It's because of the fact that I might not know the answer to them that scare's me."

"Oh, I don't like when people make fun of my voice or my fears."

She started looking out the window.  Then to her pictures.

I stared at the pictures on her desk too.  There was one of a little girl and an older woman that looks just like Beverly, but it isn't Beverly, it is her mom.

"Why are you so nice to me?" I asked her.

She looked at the picture for at least 15 more seconds then looked back at me.

"I didn't hear you, please repeat what you said." She's trying not to ask questions, I gave her a small smile.  "Okay.  Why are you so nice to me?"

"Because you're different, like me, but we also are alike."

"Is it because of our backgrounds, because mine has a plot twist."

"Plot twist?  Mine does too." I wasn't expecting her to say that to me.

"What is your plot twist?" I have a prediction but I don't want to say it.

"It's the way I became scared of the ocean.  My mom's car was knocked into the water by a clueless driver, she was down there for five hours, and she drowned." I was wrong.  I thought she was going to say that she found someone to help her through life, then something happened to that person, like me.

"I don't think we have the same plot twist," I stated matter-of-factly.

"My dad was abusive, to my mother, me, and my brother.  He took my autism for granted and I was his main target.  Kids would throw rocks at me after school, and they would kick me.  But somehow I would get in trouble, the kids lied.  My brother would always help me with them.  One night I came home and my dad wanted to talk to me.  I went upstairs to get my pet rabbit.  I walked back downstairs and he told me to sit down," I started thinking about the moment and my eyes started to water.

"He started to yell at me.  My brother and my mom were standing behind him, watching, scared for there lives.  I started to pet my rabbit in fear.  Then since I wasn't answering him, he took him from my arms and threw him against the wall.  He died.  It's sad." I felt a tear fall down my face.

"Wow, um, that's not healthy for a child to experience."

"No, it isn't," I said.

"And I thought not having a television was sad." She said to me.

I gave her a tiny smile.

"I am saving up to get one."

"I know, I hope that works out for you, Murphy."

"Thank you, Miss Waine."

I heard the sound of a car honking outside of the bank.

"Looks like you have to go," she said, almost like she was sad that I have to leave.

"Yes, he has been waiting for 20 minutes and 46, 47, 48, 49-"

"It's been that long?!  You know what Murphy, stop by anytime you want, I enjoy your company."

She smiled at me.  I smiled back.

"Thank you, Beverly.  I will see you soon." "I hope so, I hope so."

As I was about to leave the bank, I turned around to see her watching me.  We waved at each other and I walked out.

______________________

Hello!  I'm sorry if I do not capture Shaun's autism correctly, I am trying as hard as possible to make this book worth your time.

If you would like to give me suggestions you may.

Enjoy this book and I will update very soon!

Also, Sabrina Carpenter will be playing Beverly just a bit older.

<3