Chapter Ninety-Four

Start from the beginning

I'm not sure if I want to, not with how empty I feel inside. I sit in a chair that's been modified to act more like a horse-cart. Funny, I'm damaged. Kane would love that. He'd love to pity me. You see, Arno wasn't the only thing I lost since that fateful day...

I know that, beneath the black blanket over my thighs, there's nothing from the knees down.

Cato's fiery blast had taken away my legs.

But I cannot be so selfish to wallow, not now.

I manage a grin as Ryu bends down to kiss my cheek, his foreign-pale eyes shining with so much happiness, his dark hair pulled back into a bun. He wears a sky-blue robe with zardozi metalwork embroidered in bronze, soft slippers that hush like dancer steps. Kohl lines his thick lashes, and some type of honey mixture on his lips. Elio hugs me next, smelling like a mix of incense and wedding-nerves. His tattoos glow fainter now that Cato has left him, simple bronze. It doesn't make him any less classically handsome, in ocean's blue, with bronze-gilded jameh (tunic), kamarband (belt), and a soldier's šalvār (trousers) in solidarity with his army.

"Thanks for never giving up on us, fox pup." Ryu holds me tightly to him with his delicate arms.

Elio clasps my hand in thanks, eyes still aglow, lit with magic from within.

Cato may have abandoned you, but the magic of the Empire hasn't.

"Ode, I owe you an entire Empire's worth of treasure for saving us." The new Emperor winks playfully. "Also, thank you for being the one to read our wedding vows."

"Another thing to force the clown Champion into doing." I grumble teasingly, blushing despite myself. Dammit, Ode. Don't get sappy. "Well, I had a nightmarish time trying to memorize it all." But, still, I  embrace them right back. "I love you, and I wish you happiness, my brothers."

"You think memorizing a speech is bad? Try being the one planning this entire thing." Ratu sighs, wearing her usual dragon veil, this time in cerulean, with azure slippers and a kebaya, or a form of wrap-dress from Jiwa. "I'm no Queen of Thieves. I'm a fraud! Do you know how much it hurt putting a bowl of gold onto the table and leaving it there instead of being the one stealing it? Don't get me started on that fancy jewelry, or the candelabras, and I even had to refrain from pinching the--."

"Children," Serkan limps in with his new nurse-boy Riyad guiding him. They both wear something like what Elio wears, just slightly cheaper since we lack an Emperor's coffers. "Enough bickering." He limps over to Elio and Ryu, shaking both their hands. My father swallows, carefully avoiding looking at my black blanket, covering nothing but air. It must hurt, to know your child is suffering. "Blessings upon the happy couple, may your love be immortal."

The music swells, not as beautiful as Ryu's singing, but close enough. It turns out, the lead singer is none other than Ryu's little brother, Boaz, and playing the santur is Ryu's mother, Valentina. His mother's been released from her contract with Hakim, Emperor's orders. She smiles benevolently upon her son. It's no wonder why Ryu's so beautiful. His mother could be a goddess, un-aging as she is. Even Serkan gets all bashful when she smiles in his direction.

I maneuver my cart, painted lovingly by Ryu's own hand with gold leaf, and place Elio's callused fingers on Ryu's softer hand.

I lick my lips, and recite the vows.

May these vows and this marriage be blessed.
May it be sweet milk, this marriage, like wine and halvah.
May this marriage offer fruit and shade like the date palm.
May this marriage be full of laughter,
our every day a day in paradise.
May this marriage be a sign of compassion,
a seal of happiness here and hereafter.
May this marriage have a fair face and a good name,
an omen as welcome as the moon in a clear blue sky.
I am out of words to describe how spirit mingles in this marriage.

(Jalalud'din Rumi)

Before I've even said the last word, Elio lifts Ryu's face towards his, and cradling the dancer in his arms, dips him down for a kiss. The Chosen One's warrior build cannot hide Ryu's delighted blush from the rest of the crowd. Even Queen Cassia giggles as she claps enthusiastically alongside the rest of the Empire.

Sure, some old geezer priests frown disapprovingly, but this moment isn't for them.

Just then, the sun glitters down from the clouds, and it makes me wonder whether Elio's magic is entirely gone yet. Or, perhaps, this is just the beginning. A new age for an Empire.

When I catch a glimpse of the sky, I imagine I see stars beneath it. Strangely, it's almost peaceful. I've been dreaming of the Before a lot lately. I've been dreaming of what it must be like, to live amongst the stars and to drink of the eternal wine of paradise.

Forgive them, Ode.

"Arno?"

No, this voice, I know it is him. How's this possible?

Forgive them, ziba. Just as I forgave you.

"So it shall be, Arno." I whisper, turning my face up and feeling the sun. "So it shall be."

***

Champions,

It's almost over, but not quite yet. (Side note, I love the next two songs, the one above, and the one I'll post in the final chapter. So gorgeous! Love Niyaz! If you read and play the songs with the chapters, this wedding scene becomes magical. )

Maybe I'll post one-shots for "A Priestess for the Blind God" in the future for kicks, like maybe around holidays or things. Fan art if it arrives for poems/drabbles, guest contributions etc. Little fluff pieces like that. Would that be okay with you guys?

Also, book trailer in the final chapter. (Yup, side note, make all book trailers myself. Phew!) Coming up next.

It's not goodbye yet!

Best,

Sophia