A New Arrival

Henry and Anne had been married for a week and Anne had been publicly declared Queen of England but couldn't have a coronation yet as they took a long time to organise. Anne knew that she was lucky to have been married so quickly but still wanted her coronation before her baby was born, just to secure her place at Henry's side. But that was seeming less possible each day as her lying in period was approaching.

Anne was nervous about her whole situation. She knew that the people of England didn't support her and loved Katherine. It was bad enough that she had conceived out of wedlock and was under public scrutiny for anything she might do wrong.

Anne was dreading lying in. She was a very sociable individual and could think of nothing worse than being stuck in a room with only midwifes and the occasional servant. Plus, she hated darkness, she loved being outside and smelling the fresh air :so was disheartened when she visited the room she would be in and saw the windows being boarded up

"Must they be boarded" Anne asked a servant who was nailing the boards to the window frames.

"Yes your majesty" he replied "Or else the germs will get in and might cause you problems with delivery"

Anne laughed at the ridiculous claim "I played outside my whole life, there is no-more germs outside than there is inside."

The servant didn't look convinced "Well anyway, the light must not be allowed in as it could disrupt the baby.It is the King's orders."

Anne thought these rules and traditions were mad "I have been walking in the gardens for weeks whilst my baby grows, I have had no problems with sunlight. Besides, sunlight can be good for the skin. It is I who is carrying the King's son. Shouldn't I get a say in this matter."

"You have made very good arguments" began the servant to Anne who was smiling hopefully "But I am afraid it is the king's wishes and the order of the physicians, they say it is proven to aid delivery."

Anne was furious that she got no say in how the room that she would lie in for 2 months would look. It was bad enough that she had to be alone, but in the dark with no fresh air, that seemed simply unfair. She thanked the servant for listening to her before turning and walking out of the room with great difficulty and brewing annoyance.

Anne walked directly to the King's drawing room to express her opinions on the lying in room, she had to stop 3 times on her way as she was unsteady on her feet and was easily tired out. When she finally reached the King's drawing room she found him joking to his advisers whilst being poured the best of wine. He didn't notice Anne's arrival until she began to speak:

"Good morning husband." she announced with charm yet seriously.

Henry looked up from his conversation and wiped the red wine from his lips "Good morning Wife" he chuckled before returning to his jokes.

Anne was not amused by his ignorance of her presence "I have come to talk to you about my lying in room." she demanded

"What is wrong with it?" asked Henry with a laugh "It was good enough for every other queen"

Anne spoke clearly "I have to be alone for 2 months and now you insist on complete darkness and lack of fresh air too."

Henry looked serious for a moment "It is to stop germs from outside entering the room, it's all standard protocol."

Anne accepted that she wasn't going to get the boards removed, but decided to try and guilt trip him instead "And I have to sit sewing whilst you joke with your friends. You said you would start to organise my coronation to be ready as soon as as my lying in period has finished. And now I find you drinking and joking instead. Don't you love me?" Anne pretended to cry and look distressed so Henry would listen to any further points she needed to make- she knew this trick worked every time and this occasion was no exception.