Actions Have Consequences

Start from the beginning

"Your Grace" she called with as much enthusiasm as she could muster.

"Anne" replied Henry running to her side "Whatever is the matter?"

Anne sniffed "I feel awful. My head hurts and I keep being sick. I am so unsteady on my feet and now I've made a show of myself."

Henry didn't know how to respond so just said "Climb into bed for now, I will get a servant to bring you some food and will send for my best physician to examine you."

"You are too kind your Grace." muttered Anne as she stepped out of her ruined gown and into her bed.

Henry kissed Anne on the cheek before leaving "Anything for my future queen." he whispered before leaving.

A few days later, Henry's physician had arrived. Anne was in the same state and had retired to bed after feeling light headed on a series of occasions when she tried to go about Court duty. Henry was becoming worried as instructed that Anne must be examined and treated in any way necessary, no expense must be spared for her.

When the physician was attending Anne, Henry decided to visit Katherine and put the next part of his plan into order. He climbed the steps of the tower of London and arrived at Katherine's room. It was simple and small but supporters of Katherine had provided her with good food and fabrics to make her room more comfortable. The queen herself was sat at her small desk writing.

"Why did you hurt Anne?" Henry bellowed, startling Katherine.

"I have done nothing to Mistress Anne." she replied in a stern and Spanish voice,

Henry used his power to full advantage "I had evidence Katherine that you harmed Anne. If you confess to it then I will let you off trial with a simple divorce, If you chose to continue denial then you will be tried and found guilty. Your punishment will be death."

Katherine was distraught "You ask me to confess to a crime I have not committed. That is disrespect to the Lord."

Henry smiled a very callous grin "Then you will be tried and found guilty?"

"No" yelled Katherine as Henry turned to leave "I will confess to you but not to the Lord. As for divorce, then I would suffer eternal damnation in Hell."

Henry's patience was being tested, yet he had a very cruel plan, involving tricking his wife. He thrust out of his cloak a scroll written entirely in Italian, he handed it to his wife and demanded: "Your name must be displayed on this scroll for you to face no further trials or ordeals."

Katherine was not so easily fooled "I will not sign a scroll I cannot read. Why must it be in a tongue that is of neither of our nations?"

Henry thought quickly "It needs to be sent to the Pope for verification. Italian is the most common of the languages used in the Vatican. It is in fact the native language of the Pope and his Camarlengo."

"Then I shall sign, but shall write to his Holiness personally to ask why the language of Latin wasn't used"-Katherine had a plan herself. She took the contract and signed her name in beautiful cursive. Henry took the scroll back from her and returned it to his cloak. He had done it- The scroll wasn't a pardon, it was papers for a divorce. The Italian language had outwitted Katherine and she had signed away her own life, even if she did write to the Pope, Henry could simply intersect her letters.

Once Henry had returned from visiting Katherine, his physician had left Anne and the results of the examination had been explained to her. Despite wishing to boast his victory to Anne, when he came to her chambers he asked "How are you?".

Anne was happier then before and had a smile she was trying to conceal "I heard you went to see Katherine. Any further advancements on your devious plan?" Anne seductively said whist drawing nearer Henry.

The King couldn't resist this chance to boast so explained "I took divorce papers written in Italian and claimed they were from the pope. Katherine signed them but said she would write to the pope to check their legitimacy. All we have to do is intersect the letters, then we can be married."

"How wonderful" exclaimed Anne with genuine happiness

Henry remembered that his physician had been and asked Anne for the results.

Anne's smile returned "I am with child" she announced proudly.

Henry couldn't believe it, he had outwitted his wife and found out about another chance for a son in 1 day. He embraced Anne and kissed her. There was utter happiness between them for a few minutes, and then Anne asked

"May we announce it?"

Henry looked stern "We mustn't announce it for a child born out of wedlock can only be seen as illegitimate. We must conceal this until we are married."

Anne was worried "But the sickness, the soon to appear bump. How can we conceal these?"

"We will manage my dear. But our wedding can't come soon enough." Replied Henry with a hopeful grin that Anne acknowledged.