008. Steve the Good Guy

Start from the beginning

There's glitter on the floor after the party

Girls carrying their shoes down in the lobby

Candle wax and Polaroids on the hardwood floor

You and me from the night before, but

Don't read the last page

But I stay when you're lost, and I'm scared

And you're turning away

I want your midnights

But I'll be cleaning up bottles with you on New Year's Day

You squeeze my hand three times in the back of the taxi

I can tell that it's gonna be a long road

I'll be there if you're the toast of the town, babe

Or if you strike out and you're crawling home

Don't read the last page

But I stay when it's hard, or it's wrong

Or we're making mistakes

I want your midnights

But I'll be cleaning up bottles with you on New Year's Day

Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you

And I will hold on to you

Please don't ever become a stranger

Whose laugh I could recognize anywhere

There's glitter on the floor after the party

Girls carrying their shoes down in the lobby

Candle wax and Polaroids on the hardwood floor

You and me forevermore

Don't read the last page

But I stay when it's hard, or it's wrong

Or we're making mistakes

I want your midnights

But I'll be cleaning up bottles with you on New Year's Day

Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you

And I will hold on to you

Please don't ever become a stranger

Whose laugh I could recognize anywhere

Please don't ever become a stranger

Whose laugh I could recognize anywhere

I looked over at Steve who was already looking at me and smiling. I smiled back a little and looked down at my lap as I waited for a reaction.

"That was actually amazing," he smiled, "I had no idea you could sing, much less write music." I let out a quiet laugh and looked up at him for a moment. "Seriously Ems, that was amazing. You played that for Billy and he screwed Tina the same day?" I frowned and nodded. "He's a bigger idiot than I'd thought."

"You really think so?" I asked, biting my lip at the end.

"Are you kidding me? Of course!" he exclaimed, "Emma, you're like the whole package. Any guy in Hawkins would literally die to have you." I rolled my eyes at his exaggeration, but thanked him anyway. I heard the front door open and close and my dad's heavy footsteps making their way to the kitchen.

"Guys, come on, food's here," My mom yelled. Steve helped me up from the seat and we walked to the dining room. Steve hadn't met my dad yet, but I had a good feeling about them getting along.

"Hi dad," I smiled, "This is my friend Steve." Steve smiled as he shook my dad's hand.

"So you're the famous Steve," My dad said, "Good to meet you, son."

"Good to meet you too, Mr. Johnson," Steve said.

"So, you and Emma dating yet?" My dad asked, making me choke on my drink.

"Dad!" I laughed nervously, "Steve and I are just friends. Right, Steve?"

"We are?" He asked. I stared at him in shock for a second before he let out a laugh, "I'm totally kidding, yeah. Ems and I are just friends, sir," he said. I smiled at him and nodded. "Although, your daughter is a lovely person, inside and out." I blushed, but rolled my eyes to try to hide it. The rest of our dinner time went by pretty quickly. Steve and my parents were getting along super well, which made me really happy. He helped me pick up the table and clean up a little while my mom did the dishes. "So that was fun," he smiled as I walked him to the door.

"Yeah, that was," I said, "They like you. Possibly more than me." He laughed and shook his head.

"I do have that effect on parents," he said, "I liked them too though. They are very nice people, now I see where you get it from."

"You're so weird," I laughed, "I'll see you at school tomorrow though?"

"Am I not driving you to school?" he questioned I shook my head no.

"Billy's picking me up," I told him, "But if you're lucky, I'll join you for lunch." He smiled and nodded.

"I'll take it," he said, "I'll see you tomorrow for lunch, same place." I nodded and waved at him as he got in his car. I waited until he pulled out from our driveway before going inside and sitting down in the living room with my parents. The three of us sat just watching TV for a little while. It wasn't really anything too interesting. At around 8:30 I decided it was time for me to go finish up my last bit of homework and get ready for bed.

"Hey honey," my mom said, making me stop in my tracks and turn back to face them.

"Yeah, mom?" I asked.

"Steve's a good guy," she smiled, "I think I speak for your father and myself when I say that we wouldn't mind it if you guys dated." I let out a laughed and shook my head.

"Is this your guys' not so subtle way of telling me you think Steve and I should date?" I asked. She nodded with a teasing smile on her face. "You guys suck," I laughed, "He's just my friend, but I'm really glad you guys like him."

"I think your mom's just kidding about that, but we do really like him. He's a good kid," my dad spoke up, finally looking away from the TV.

"I'm sure he'll be very happy to hear that," I told them, "I'll see you tomorrow, night guys."