Almost A Man | Todd x Ben/Cillian

this short Todd/Ben/Cillain drabble was requested by achrylic. y'all, if you want some more todd x reader - please request!

random but here's my collection of chaos walking books. i also have the tenth anniversary editions preordered and they will be here next month. :)

 :)

//

Todd broke out of sleep, cracked his eyes open, feeling them burn against the sunlight, and groaned for a brief moment. The Noise coming from Ben and Cillian in the kitchen and the sheep across the field was overwhelming this early in the morning.

And then he remembered what day it was, and he jumped out of bed, tossing his covers off his body, and planted his feet on the floor. He hurriedly got dressed, nearly sprinting out of his bedroom before he remembered that he was almost a man now, and men didn't behave like kids.

Almost a man, his Noise said, all proud and full of disbelief. In thirteen months, he would be a man.

He walked out into the kitchen, tugging on the bottom of his shirt to cover his stomach. Ben and Cillain looked up at him.

Ben grinned. "There he is," he said. "Good morning. Happy birthday, Todd."

"Thanks," Todd said. He could barely contain his smile.

Cillian gave him a tight lipped smile, and Todd almost grew angry. He couldn't even act happy for him on his birthday? The birthday before he became a man?

"Since it's your birthday, we won't make you go get any apples or work-"

"Even though a real man should still work, even on his ruddy birthday," Cillian said.

Todd shot him a look. Ben shook his head. "No, not today. Breakfast or presents first, Todd?"

Presents! his Noise said too eagerly. He grimaced at himself. Shut up, Todd. You're acting like a stupid kid still - shut up, shut up-

"Alright, I think that sounds fine." Ben smiled. "Why don't you sit down, Todd and we'll get yer gift-"

He sat down in one of the chairs, foot tapping on the floor. He was so eager to get his hands on the ruddy present because when boys became men, they got knives. Good knives, for hunting and stuff - and he was almost a man now, and he had mentioned knives all year in hopes that they would pay attention.

"Close yer eyes, Todd!"

He could tell they were really trying to cover up their Noise and make it a surprise, but he was so sure it was a knife, that when he heard the sound of feet coming back in the room, he could barely keep his eyes closed.

"Open 'em!"

He did. And in front of him was a small, brown mutt with slobber dripping out of its mouth. Its ears twitched and its tail wagged.

"Happy birthday, Todd," Ben said.

"A dog," he said. A stupid, ruddy dog-

"His name is Manchee," Ben said. "Ain't that a good name? And he's gonna be yer own pup, so you can go to the woods and swamps and have someone with ya-"

"Oh. Thanks," he said. The pup hopped up on its hind legs, its front paws touching his knees. Its tongue slipped out of its mouth and swiped across the tops of his legs, leaving a trail of drool.

"You two are gonna be best pals," Ben said.

Doubt it, Todd said in his Noise. He kept thinking of how soon the talking germ is gonna set in his stupid mouth and he's never ever gonna shut up, and how it's gonna chew stuff up and slobber everywhere and poo on everything and annoy the eff outta him-

Ain't no way was this ruddy pup ever gonna be his best pal.