Chapter 7 - Felix's Help

Don't own characters
———————————————

"What's that?" Pansy asked, screwing her nose up at the unfamiliar word.

"Well, a dentist is someone who fixes muggle's teeth when they break them or the teeth grow oddly or something like that." Hermione explained.

"Oh, so like a healer for muggle teeth?"

"Basically, yeah."

"Huh. Why don't the 'doctors' do it?"

"Ms Parkinson, Ms Granger, care to share your conversation with everyone else, as it is so important?" Professor Flitwick cut in, staring pointedly at the pair until they'd really got the message.

Hermione turned and gave her friend a look as she thought over the odd past few weeks. Harry and Hermione weren't exactly as close as they used to be, but they still talked at meals and if they ever came across each other. As for Ron, it was safe to say that that bridge had been burnt. Hermione had also had no further luck with Draco, although recently, because of her connection with Pansy, she was seeing more and more of him - which she hoped would at least mean they may be able to be friends eventually, and then he'd tell her about his past and she could finally know the truth. Hermione smiled at the thought of Harry and Ron always twisting everything about Draco negatively - even when it was something little, and she supposed that was why she was so keen to hear his side of all of their encounters. It wasn't exactly a good idea to relieve all of the things that made Draco hate the trio in the first place, but Hermione just had a feeling it would be the only way to really just put all the fighting behind them and start over - as adults.

~

Draco bit his lip in thought as he too went over the past couple of weeks' events - albeit his slightly resentful nature to them. Where the brilliant idea to suddenly become friends with Hermione came from, he was unaware, but also uncomfortable, as he always seemed to be running into her. Draco could never take the chance of being her friend himself, in case his lack of control over his emotions as of late caused him to tell her about himself. Annoyingly enough - she just seemed so trustworthy - not that he'd put that to the test. Draco sighed and zoned out of the lesson, Flitwick already didn't like him, he wasn't bound for a great NEWT in charms anyway - potions was more of his strongpoint.

~

Felix Felicis.

"Why didn't I think of that!" Hermione mumbled under her breath as she noticed the golden vial on Slughorn's desk.

"I could use some of that for when we take our NEWTs." Pansy whispered in Hermione's direction - causing the girl to laugh awkwardly in response.

Taking no notice, Pansy wandered forward into the classroom and sat down at a table near to the back - no doubt near where she assumed Draco would sit. Funnily enough, Hermione felt like Draco didn't really like Pansy as much as Blaise made out, not that she'd ever voice such a claim. Just as Hermione leaned over to talk to Pansy, the door opened and Draco and Blaise sauntered into the room.

"Boys!" Slughorn called welcomingly.

The pair just nodded in response and dropped their books on the desk behind Hermione and Pansy.

"You're just in time! Today class, I would like you all to create a small vial of amortentia and write a roll of parchment describing how it looks and smells - the brewer of the best potion shall win this-" He held up the glass of felix felicis and Hermione's eyes widened - she had to brew the best potion if she wanted any hope in getting Draco to open up to her.

~

Of course. Love potion. Draco just flipped his book open and began to brew begrudgingly - Pansy kept turning around and batting her eyelids at him as if that would cause him to use his on her or something. He just turned his face down and set to work, at least he'd win some liquid luck to use for his next quidditch match or something.