Chapter 9: Stowaway

BOOM!

Mimmi caused a small explosion during our lesson with Rita. Ondina had left to talk to the Mermaid Council, and we were terrified of what they would say about us leaving, as well as about Erik, Jasper, and Evie.

"I can't stop thinking about Ondina," Mimmi says.

"Me to," I add.

"The Mermaid Council are going to be so angry," Serena says.

"They're gonna make us come home, I know it," Mimmi says worriedly.

"There were always going to be consequences to your decision to run away," Rita informs us.

"It's not just the running away," I say, "how's Ondina going to explain Erik, Jasper, and Evie?"

"Maybe she won't tell them," Mimmi suggests, though she sounds unsure.

"It would be most unwise to lie to the Mermaid Council," Rita says, and we exchange worried looks.

All we could do now was wait for Ondina to return. Sirena helped Rita clean up while Mimmi and I left through the sea entrance. We both sped towards Mako, but later split off in different directions to hang around different parts of the reef. I also spotted Erik as well, so I swam up to him and waved when he saw me. He waved back and signaled for us to surface so we could talk.

"What brings you out here so early?" he asks, "I thought you said you had lessons with Rita."

"Kinda blew up the lesson," I say, "and I needed to de-stress. Ondina went to talk to the Mermaid Council and we're worried we might have to leave."

"Why would they make you leave?" he asks.

"Well, we did run off to come here," I say, "and I really don't want to go back."

"Don't worry," he says, taking my hand in his, "for now, let's relax and enjoy the reef."

We then dove under and continued to swim around, occasionally playing a few games with each other until Erik had to leave for work. I then headed back to the Grotto where I found Mimmi and a younger mermaid in the sea entrance.

"You shouldn't be alone this far from your pod," Mimmi says to her when Sirena and Ondina enter.

"You have legs?" the younger mermaid asks, "they're so weird looking."

"What are you doing here?" Ondina asks

"'Who is she?' would be a better question," Sirena adds.

"Neptina," Ondina answers, "Neppy. She's from the pod." she then turns to Neppy "I told you to go back to mermaid school."

"You also said it was going to be a really tough fight to save Mako because you've only got Mimmi, Sirena, and Manoa to help," Neppy says, "You're the leader, so I've come to volunteer. Put me to work. Let me be part of this."

"You're the leader?" I ask, giving Ondina a look.

"And we're just the help?" Sirena adds.

"That's not what I said," Ondina replies, but we didn't really believe her. "Neppy, you can't stay. You have to go back to the pod."

"But I want to save Mako," she says.

"You're going home," Ondina states.

Neppy sighs before saying "There's no way I can swim that far again tonight. I'm hungry and I'm tired. I don't even know how I kept up with you, Ondina, you're so fast."

"We could at least give her something to eat," I reason.

"Fine," Ondina says, "but if you're going to come in, you'll need legs."