Meetings

As the first creature bore down on him, Robin noticed something. As he'd been riding with Frederick, numerous portals had opened above the forest, vomiting dozens of the creatures onto the burning earth.

So why weren't more attacking?

Robin could give it no further thought, blocking the axe of his attacker. He pushed the axe away, slashing it's chest. The creature tried to swing again, but pulled too far back. A swift thrust made it dissolve.

Chrom was working on his set of opponents, seven of the creatures boxing him into a tight ring. This proved a poor choice against him.

The first one leapt at Chrom. Chrom dodged and twisted, cutting the creature open from belly to shoulder. Two more charged him, but their rigid movements did nothing against Falchion. As they dissolved, the remaining creatures jumped Chrom, trying to tackle him. Chrom took a casual step back, letting them tangle their limbs and bodies. Chrom grinned and beheaded them.

Robin was hardly slacking off while Chrom finished. He parried an incoming sword before rolling under an axe. Robin came up from his roll and cut open a monster's throat. He twisted and fired a precious blast of thunder, vaporizing one. Three more charged him, but Robin ducked and weaved around their strikes before making some space.

I need something to wipe them out. I'm pretty good with a sword from what I've experienced, but I'm not Chrom.

He jumped back as an axe buried itself into the ground, another small fragment coming to mind.

Well, no point not trying. I've still got enough pages anyway.

He dodged again before raising his sword, the tome in his coat glowing.

He yelped as twin bolts coalesced on his blade, swinging the blade in surprise and unleashing the bolts. The bolts flew away from the blade, fusing into a single arc and cutting the creatures in twain. Robin panted, feeling energy leave his limbs.

Ok, note for later. Channeling magic through a weapon not only uses pages, but personal energy as well. It's powerful, but better to use only when there's no choice.

With the fight for the fort done, Robin joined Virion atop the wall to see how the others were fairing.

In a word: wonderfully. Sully had charged a large pack, scattering them. Two archers in the pack trained their sights on her, but Virion lived up to his boasts. He swiftly nocked and fired four arrows, planting two arrows in the skull of each archer. Robin let out a low whistle, the sound making Virion smirk.

"See? I am truly the Archest of Archers! Who else could fire so far, fast, and accurately as myself?"

Robin nodded absently, watching Sully fight the pack she'd charged. Virion huffed and turned back to firing at anything Frederick hadn't killed yet. Lissa joined them, having checked Chrom already.

She found Sully. "Ah, always fun to see her go at it."

Robin nodded mutely, eyes shining in awe at what he was witnessing.

Sully had charged back into the pack, sweeping her lance in a wide arc as she passed them. The lance took the head off one of them before burying itself in another's chest. The horse's momentum brought the creature with Sully until she turned around, flinging its evaporating corpse from the blade.

The remaining creatures charged at her, bringing their rusted weapons to bear. As the first approached and jumped into the air, the others circled around to flank her. It was most complex tactics Robin had yet seen from these things.

Sully only laughed from what Robin could see. She swung her lance and smacked the first attacker out of the air with the butt. The force pushed the lance blade around to Sully's side, skewering one of her flankers. Letting go of the lance, Sully drew the iron sword at her side and slashed while ducking under the last attacker's swipe. She sat up and cantered forward, not even bothering to watch as the attacker fell to the ground, split from navel to crown. Her mount crushed the skull of the creature stunned on the floor.