Chapter 25

[Oh my Lordy . This is it. The end. The finale. I... I've no words to say except thank you for taking the time to read this fic. I know I kinda messed up a bit in the first few chapters. It wasn't that interesting and had no idea what my end goal was. I've also been distracted lately by other fandoms (*cough* Steven universe and Hamilton *cough*)
In the end, I figured, you know what? Not all stories have happy endings. This is what I settled on. I bid you all a safe reading~ Till next time, perhaps?]

Daniel's POV__

For the most part, he's being a great friend and succeeded in calming David down. He'd gone and wiped the tears off his face and held his hand, something a lover would do in this situation. But David had none of that and only had the company of Daniel. Who didn't think twice before reaching forward to wrap him in a comforting hug.

"I don't know which to be scared of more," David said from beneath him. He stroked his dark hair and revelled in his scent. Very inappropriate timing, Daniel.

"Don't worry, David. I'll make sure Jen doesn't lay a hand on you," and he spoke the truth. If she ever planned to physically harm him, she'll have to go through a very furious Daniel to get to him.

"But will she on you?" David looked up. "I don't want her trying to... kill you." He gulped audibly.

"Me?" Daniel choked back a bitter laugh. "She could never beat me." But he saw the hesitation in David's eyes. It was there for a moment then it cleared, paving way for hope and relief.

"I'll keep you safe from the big, bad bully." Daniel teased, trying to lighten the mood. This sparked a laugh out of the brunette. This was good. Laughs are good. Then he bent down and connected their foreheads. "She'll never make it past me to get to you," he said, looking deep into his green eyes.

A moment of silence passed. He was aware of the blush on the other's face. He knew by now his face was reacting the same way. David nodded and smiled at him like he's all that mattered.

And god, did it break his heart to know he'll eventually leave him.

"David!" Their moment was broken when they heard a voice from afar. They separated and stood up.

"Is that Max?" David asked. His name was called out again, this time nearer.

"Max!" David followed. Daniel had no choice but to follow as well.

The closer the voice got, the louder the rustling became. David got knocked back when Max finally found them. It was a sight he thought he'd never see. Max was hugging his knees and David was shocked by it too.

"Is anything wrong?"

"Jen! Crazy cultist. Kidnapped. Rope. Escaped!" He said in panic.

"Whoa, slow down!" David bent down and grabbed him by the shoulders. "Jen?" He echoed, all emotion draining from his face. Max looks past David's shoulder and glares at Daniel.

"You fucker! You're in on this, aren't you?! You lured David all the way out here to let Jen do the filthy work for you!" He barged past David but before he could land a punch, David had pulled him back by his sweater.

"No, he's not." He said guiltily. Max sputtered indignantly. "There's no time to explain. We should head back," David looked at Daniel. He can't tell if he was suspicious of him or if he relied on his help. But he nodded and soon, they were running through the forest. Jen had taken the rope, so they relied on David.

In the distance, Daniel could hear Nikki's voice crying for help. David noticed too, stopping momentarily before running with vigorous speed. They reached the end of the forest and was surprised to see all the campers piled up in one spot. Max had slipped away. That worried Daniel a bit, but what worried him more is Jen holding a dagger to one of the kids' throat.