As Dixon bustled into the room, Mrs. Hale swiftly imparted the unwelcome news to the servant. If Margaret had not felt for her father’s embarrassment and her mother’s anxiety, she would have burst into laughter at the sight of Dixon puffing up like a rooster, her face red with irritation. Margaret espied Isaac and Tansy behind Dixon; they had followed her in curiosity as to what had caused such uproar in a normally placid house.

“Well, I don’t know what I can be expected to do on this late notice,” Dixon huffed. “I shall have to send Tansy to market, and she has not finished this morning’s baking! And who knows what meat will be available on a Thursday!”

Mrs. Hale wrung her hands. “And the house needs dusting, and the parlor a good turning out.” She rounded on her hapless husband in despair. “How could you have done such a thing?”

At this juncture, Margaret rose from her seat and moved behind her chair, pushing it in to the table. “There is no need for alarm, Mamma,” she began in a measured voice. “I am certain that Tansy will contrive to find what we need at the fishmongers and grocers for the first course and side dishes, and we still have a large portion of the smoked ham that Aunt sent us from Charleston for our main course. Dixon can make her famous Lady Baltimore cake—I know we have most of the ingredients, Dixon, because you were planning to make it for Sunday, or so you said. And we have plenty of winter vegetables in the garden—last I looked, we had spinach and cabbage. With vegetables in the root cellar, and the baking Tansy has done this morning, we should have enough to make a meal that will do us credit.” Before her mother could protest, she added, “And Jessamy and I can straighten and arrange the parlor and dining room, with Isaac’s help.” She caught Isaac’s eye and was pleased to see his quick nod of agreement; she felt grateful because she knew he often felt it was beneath him to do what he deemed women’s work.

She was gladdened to see her mother’s features relax, and was rewarded by her father’s grateful smile. Even Dixon gave a gruff nod, as if to say that will do. Before all could depart the room, her father cleared his throat. When his daughter looked at him inquiringly, he coughed and added, “I have invited Mr. Bell as well. I thought he might liven up the evening.”

Margaret began to laugh. “I am certain he will,” she agreed.

As she turned to leave, she caught Isaac winking at her approvingly, a small smile lifting his mouth. She released a breath and began to believe they might pull this off after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~&~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Must we go for dinner tonight?” Fanny complained. “And if we do, why do I have to dress? It’s only that pokey old schoolteacher and his family.”