Chapter 9

Chapter 9

January—February 1860

Several days into the New Year, Margaret and her mother left Charleston for the long journey home to Lovell. Aunt Shaw had begged them to remain through the winter months, fearing that the cold of New England would be too hard upon her sister’s health. While tempted, Mrs. Hale longed to see her husband again, and Margaret had no desire to remain in Charleston any longer than was necessary to complete preparations for their departure.

Before they said their good-byes, Aunt Shaw informed them that she had yet another treat in store for her sister and niece.

“We will be in New York in February; Maxwell has business to conduct, and Edith and I are joining him at the Fifth Avenue Hotel.” Aunt Shaw paused to gauge whether they were duly impressed before continuing, “We have booked two suites of rooms, and I would like for you and Margaret to join us. Maxwell tells me that my suite is sufficient to accommodate the three of us, and it would be lovely to shop and see the sights with you. Maxwell has promised to procure tickets for a play or a revue.” She beamed at both of them. “So, I will not take no for an answer.”

Mrs. Hale exclaimed with delight; she had not been to New York since she had gone with her father and mother as a young girl. She longed to see the shops and the restaurants, and to stay in such luxurious quarters. Margaret was not quite as excited, but knew how her mother longed for this excursion, and therefore nodded her acceptance and thanks.

Their travels home were uneventful, and mother and daughter were soon reunited with Mr. Hale, who was overjoyed to have his family and the ensuing comforts restored to him. Much as he loved and missed his wife, he had missed Margaret more. She straightened his library, helped him to catalog his notes and find books, and assisted him in so many small ways that he had keenly felt her absence. He had rushed out on the doorstep upon their arrival to hug his wife and daughter, holding his daughter in his embrace a few moments longer than might have been warranted. Laughing at his own reaction, he told his loved ones how good it was to have them home.

“And you have arrived in time for tea,” he added. “I did not expect you so early this evening, so I invited Mr. Thornton for a lesson. He is in the parlor even as we speak,” he exclaimed happily, gazing from one to the other with unalloyed glee, as if presenting them with a fine gift.

“Dear husband, I am too tired to do more than have tea and toast in my room,” his wife replied in a weak tone. Leaning heavily upon Dixon’s arm, she mounted the stairs to her bedroom.