Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Lovell, Massachusetts

1859

Margaret strode over the cobblestone streets of Lovell as rapidly as her long skirts and petticoats would allow. Her normally placid expression was marred by a severe downward slant of her eyebrows and the compression of her lips to a thin, taut line. She was determined to put as much distance as possible between Chilton Mills and her person.

That hurly-burly man! He had no manners or refinement; she was offended by his appearance, his brash manner of speech, and by every word he had uttered. If this behavior was typical of the men of Lovell, she was truly sorry to have left Williamsburg behind. Southern men had an air of refinement, an in-bred gentility and grace that checked them from committing any offense in word or deed. She had a fleeting impression that this stranger was as attractive as any man of her acquaintance, but such a scandalous thought was quickly pushed aside by her remembrance of his curt manner of speech and rude behavior. Besides, she had more important matters to consider than the brilliant blue eyes of a lowly workman.

After several false turns, she finally found the street that housed the office of Mr. Thornton’s agent. She stepped inside a small waiting area and asked to see Mr. Reynolds. A smiling male clerk asked her to wait one moment while he informed Mr. Reynolds of his visitor. After several moments, he returned to lead her into a large, well apportioned office where an equally smiling gentleman professed that he was delighted to make her acquaintance.

Mr. Reynolds was nattily dressed, and sported an enormous checkered handkerchief in his breast pocket. His broad nasal tones jarred against her ear, but his manner was friendly and conciliatory. Little did Margaret suspect that Mr. Thornton had sent a lad ahead, running full tilt, to apprise Mr. Reynolds of Margaret’s visit and request that he offer her all assistance.

The agent offered her a leather chair and asked how he might serve her. Margaret patiently explained that the property recommended to her family was unsuitable, and Mr. Reynolds shook his head dolefully, clucking in dismay.

“I am sorry to hear this, Miss Hale,” he exclaimed. “However, I understood from Mr. Thornton that your family’s finances were—how shall I put this—somewhat limited? The Winchester property is one of the few with a reasonable rent.”

Margaret smiled sourly. “I believe there has been some misunderstanding, Mr. Reynolds. If I may speak bluntly, my family, while not unduly wealthy, does have the means to afford whatever lodging you are able to show us, short of mansions or estates. My father may be a clergyman, but his family left him a modest stipend, and my mother comes from a wealthy southern family who endowed her handsomely upon her marriage. I believe you will find us capable of handling the rental of other, better properties.” She named a price that made Mr. Reynolds’s eyes shine, and finished her speech with a charming smile, one that in the past had enabled her to get her way whether in the purchase of goods or in handling a difficult parishioner. It did not fail now.