Chapter Fourteen: For a New Beginning

Start from the beginning

Seijuro then swore to himself that if he ever had twin children, he would never make the same mistakes that his parents did. He would never favour one over the other. He would never ignore them, or even treat them like they don't exist.

Seijuro cleared his throat, forcing a small smile on his face as he looked down at the crowd—his people—the ones whom Seiki had given his life and his honour for. All so that the future generations could grow up without having to suffer through the corruption that had taken root in the Teiko Kingdom.

"I've once stood up here when I've first turned twelve," Seijuro begun, his voice carrying loud and clear over the microphone on the podium so that everyone could hear him, "when I've first came up with the medical system in this country, and ensured that there is at least a clinic or even a hospital in every town and city in the kingdom—where the people don't have to worry about medical bills. At that time, I'd thought that the royal family's duty to the kingdom is to protect the citizens. That is our duty, and no one else's. But now, I realise that I'm wrong. It is the duty of everyone in the kingdom. The Teiko Kingdom doesn't belong to just one person—it belongs to everyone! I wouldn't be standing here today if it hadn't been for the group of individuals who have once been labelled as traitors, and have gone beyond their duty to this kingdom and the royal family."

There were cheers and claps at that, as necks craned to look for the members of the rebel group. The few that could be sighted only gave grim smiles, as they were all well aware of the number of sacrifices amongst their group in order to attain the peace that they've sought after for so long.

"This war has finally come to an end, and we of Teiko are going to pick up the pieces from here and move on, having learned a valuable lesson—that this kingdom doesn't belong to any one individual. It belongs to all of us—and all of us have a duty to protect it. This will be my new insight and path for the kingdom of Teiko!"

The loud claps and cheers that could be heard after the speech by the Crown Prince are almost deafening—along with the loud cries of "Long live the Prince!" by several of the citizens.

Akashi Seijuro stepped down from the podium, turning around to face his cousin who had a small smile on her face, with Shigehiro and Haizaki flanking her on either side. "How is it?" Seijuro asked them nervously.

"I think you nailed it." Shigehiro commented, and his two childhood friends nodded in agreement. "Just listen to them."

The cheers don't seem to be dying down anytime soon.

"Yes, but it is going to be tough for us for the next few years." Seijuro sighed. Honestly, the clean up is going to be a nightmare. Though without the corrupted politicians and nobles, it is going to be much easier to do things.

"We'll manage." Tamaki sighed, rubbing at the back of her neck. "We always do. And this time, you won't be alone."

Seijuro nodded silently. "The funerals?" he asked his cousin.

"In two days." Tamaki answered, looking tired. "All the names of those who have died in the war will be going on the memorial stone. It's the least that we could do to honour them."

XXXXXX

Tamaki met no one even as she walked down the hallways of the palace that she knew so well. She found it a welcome change—when she could walk down the hallways of the palace with her head held high once more, and not have to escape with her life, like the time two years ago.

Finally, she came to a stop outside the office that she knew so well—having been here so many times ever since she and her friends have gotten promoted as the commanders of the Royal Guard.