Milestones - Chapter 0 - The Hunter XIII

Start from the beginning

  "No way." Isilda shook her head vehemently and then stared down to her feet. Her nails dug into the wood around her. Her left foot slipped on the deck when one large wave tossed the boat but she caught herself.

  "It's fine. I'm here to catch you. You won't go over as long as I'm here." Tyverus smiled confidently back to Isilda and pushed his arm towards her a bit more. With his other hand he patted the railing like it was a skittish horse. "I'm a knight, I know how these things work."

  "The waves are too much." Isilda let go of one of the frames to clutch at her chest and then quickly grabbed the frame again. "The deck is icy over there, too. I trust you, I really do, but..." She trailed off and looked up to the sky above. "I'm from the desert, we don't have ships like this and we certainly don't have waves for that matter. I'm afraid."

  Tyverus felt the ship dip hard to port and saw a wave crash against the hull, sending spray over the deck. He pursed his lips and let his outstretched arm drop. He didn't want to force the young oracle into anything if she would be fearful of it and there wasn't much to do about the waves. He wanted to help ease her nerves and show her that the water below wasn't as frightening as she thought, none of the elements were.

  "I have an idea." Tyverus raised his eyes to stare at Isilda. Her green eyes shone back at him expectantly. "Would you come over here if the waves stopped?"

  Isilda gave out a incredulous laugh and turned her face from Tyverus. "Yeah, sure. If the gods came down and quelled the entire Heartsblood Sea, I'd gladly go over there." She smiled and looked back to Tyverus. A shock of her golden hair flew over her face on the wind. "Good luck with that."

  Tyverus grinned at her words and lifted his arms up over his head. "Well, then let's see if I can call down the gods." He closed his eyes and concentrated on his elemental energies. He reached out to the sea around the ship and let his consciousness meld with it. He thought of the feelings that were building up in him concerning Isilda and the soothing presence she provided him. That same soothing and serene feeling he sent out to the sea. After a few smaller waves caressed the hull the ship ceased its pitching.

  Isilda gasped and then slapped one of her palms on the wooden frame beside her. "No. It's just a calm. The waves will start up again." She muttered to herself over her breath. She reached out a foot from her place of safety to touch her toe upon distant wood. "No way."

  "It is done." Tyverus opened his eyes and looked back to her. "I have summoned the gods and quelled the sea." The ship remained perfectly still despite the sounds of distant waves crashing against each other. He stepped away from the railing defiantly and kept his arms raised to his sides.

  "You're joking." Isilda took a few steps away from the door-frame and then quickly ran back. She patted on the wood with one of her feet and then took another furtive step away from the frame. "Is this another of your pranks? You got me three times now since we left Morrthault City."

  "No pranks. Come see for yourself." Tyverus let his arms drop and patted the rail beside him once more. "Everything is safe, no more waves."

  Isilda took another cautious step and then ran at Tyverus. She stopped on her heels and grabbed onto the railing like a falling climber might grab onto their last bits of rope. Taking advantage of her momentum, Tyverus pulled his fur coat from his shoulders and caught her in it, draping it over hers so that she might be warm. She looked to the water quickly, and then back up to Tyverus. Concern marred the beautiful features of her face. She tucked the warm fur around her and smiled up at him with thanks.

  "You're glowing." Her remark was flat. She cocked one of her eyebrows up and lifted a hand to pat the tunic Tyverus wore. He looked down to see that his mantle was glowing a soft blue from beneath his clothes. Isilda turned away and looked back out to the water.