Chapter Thirteen - I lost myself

[Recap] 

And I knew that at that moment, it would be okay for me to go. 
So I slowly opened the flat door and started walking towards the lift, as I got into the lift, the doors were about to close, but before I could do anything, Daniel had walked out of his Aunts flat and got onto the lift with me.

The doors closed, and I regretted thinking about leaving alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Third person] 

The doors to the dark lift suddenly closed, engulfing Matty and Daniel in complete silence and awkwardness.

Matty couldn't help but feel scared, Daniel didn't seem intimidating before, but in this situation it all seemed to come crashing down on Matt. 
He really didn't want to be in the same, enclosed place with Daniel, especially not in a dodgey lift flat with no cameras or alarm buttons to call for help. 

Daniel could do anything with the rage he would have, and that terrifed Matty more than anything. 

"What's your problem?" Daniels voice soon was aloud.

Matty swallowed to make sure his throat was moist and didn't crack his voice, then he used all of his will power to take a look at Daniel, who looked tired, upset, and of course, angry. 

"Nothing, man." Matty replied. 

He tried not to seem nervous or worried, but obviously the tension in the lift was felt by both of the men.

Daniel then spoke again.

"Come to ditch her?" Daniel asked, and when this question sparked a confused response from Matty, he elaborated on what he'd meant.

"You used Clara, made her life hell again and then just ditched her back at her flat with so many problems." 

Matty stayed quiet for a while, thinking of how to word his next sentence without getting into a fight with Daniel. 

"I didn't mean for my presence that evening to cause such a feud between everyone. No, I've not used Clara and I'm sure this is not the last time I'll be seeing her. She means a lot to me too, you know? I may not have known her long, but I've known her long enough to be one hundred percent sure that I care for her." Matty started. "I'm not a dick. I've been in terrible situations myself, worse than this, I dare say. I haven't had the most thrilling life myself, but I respect Clara and Sam's situation, and I would give the world to keep Clara safe."

Thinking that his affectionate words would soothe Daniel's anger and let him know that Clara wasn't being used, and that he didn't mean to get involved with everything, was a wrong thing for Matty to think, because once he was finished speaking, Daniel's face turned from sour into a scowl.
He turned to Matt, giving him a hate filled look and he snarled his next words.

"You know nothing about their lifes. I've known them for years, I've seen real shit that they've been through, and believe me, you wouldn't know how to deal with any of it. Clara is harder to handle, and her brother is a lot tougher than you may think. I love Clara with my whole heart, but ever since you walked through that flat door, you caused problems to arise, it's your fault that I'll make her life hell." 

The lift finally stopped at the ground floor, Matty stood still as the doors opened, seeming calm, but a rage was building up inside of him, leaving him in stunned anger.

Daniel was soon confused when Matty wasn't walking out of the lift, the doors closed, and Daniel pressed for the lift to go back up towards the top floors.