Chapter Ten

"How much longer 'til we get there, coach?" Maxwella asked from the back of the carriage. The driver, who looked like a young, less attractive David answered, "About fifteen minutes, sir."

He sighed and nodded, staring out the window. It still amazed him that the godmother crafted this from a pumpkin, some vines, and a few field mice. He shuddered at the thought, but quickly shook it off and watched the trees. They reminded him of David.

Oh, David. Why did he have to be involved in two fairytales? Max had hoped that both tales would be spared, but of course, life doesn't work that way. The first wave of the prophecy cake through and the ginger had been taken hostage. A few weeks later, one of the kingdom dukes came to the mansion and told them they found him dead.

He was beyond devasted- he was broken. Lost. It was even worse when the Flowers made him their personal butler and changed his last name. As part of the act, he did the chores and pretended he was ok. That was true, though.

Max felt the tears brimming at the corners of his eyes and wiped them away furiously. He wasn't going to cry. Not here, not now. Taking a deep, shaky breath, he pushed away the thoughts and focused on his future. Married to the prince. "Wonder what he's like..." he thought. "Probably an asshole. But not as much of an asshole as me." He stifled a laugh and his own joke. "David would be so proud of me..."

"God fucking dammit," he muttered to himself, feeling the tears come back. The coach seemed to notice something was up.

"Sir? You ok?" he questioned, eyes still on the road.

"Fuck off," Maxwella growled. The ride was silent again. But only for a few seconds.

"Dammit, I'm sorry for snapping," the ravenet sighed apologetically. He heard the driver laugh. "It's fine, I've dealt with worse."

"Worse...?" he mumbled curiously. The ginger glanced back at him. "I used to be a mouse. Do you know the kind of shit a mouse has to go through?"

Max couldn't help bit chuckle. "Probably a lot... The name's Max. Yours?"

"Pikeman," the other replied. The teen raised an eyebrow. "Have a more human name?"

He shrugged. "No... Why don't you give me one?"

"How about... Edward?"

A smile spread across the coach's face. "I like that..." he said softly. "Thanks."

Maxwella returned the smile. "Glad to help."

"Oh, by the way, we've arrived at the castle."