Chapter Twenty

A majority of the walk was silent, besides Max and Preston whispering. Edward occasionally tried to sneak up on Gwen, but one snarl from her would send him skittering back to Tink. They were growing more tired by the minute. "So... Where are we headed?"

"Just to the cave where the rest of my pack is."

It grew silent again. Harrison racked his brain for a conversation starter. "Um... What fairytale are you from?"

She glanced back at him. "Every tale with a wolf in it, one of of the pack members are in." Her gaze returned forward. "Mine is- well, was- 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf'."

"Wait, so if your story's destroyed," Neil murmured, "How'd you survive?"

Gwen gave him what could only be assumed as a smirk. "Why do you think the pack formed in the first place?"

Suddenly, her ears perked up and she froze. One ear swiveled to the right. Faintly, a howl could be heard in the distance. Instinct kicked in and she threw her head back and howled as well. The group exchanged surprised looks.

She stopped howling and took off, sprinting through the trees. "C'mon, slow pokes!" she called over her shoulder. The boys shared a look and shrugged, jogging after her.

They followed her through the woods, almost losing sight of her a few times. She was charging towards an orange light, a light that grew brighter the closer they got to it. Eventually, they all bursted into a clearing, amazed by what they saw.

There was a small cave carved into the side of a slope. In front of said cave was a campfire. A few people sat around it, glaring at the newcomers. Gwen glared back at them. "We have some guests."

"We noticed," one of the males growled. Neil suppressed a shudder as he recognized the boy as Snake.

"How long will they be staying?" another asked curiously. They recognized him as another Woodscout.

"The royals will be here for a while, but the prophets are only here for the night," she replied.

"Wait, the prophets are here? And the princes?" another voice piped up. Gwen nodded. "Hopefully Alpha won't mind."

"Of course I don't mind!" a confident voice answered. Their gazes drifted to the cave entrance. They watched as the speaker stepped out of the shadows. "Wait..." Harrison muttered. His lover finished his thought.

"Cameron Campbell?"