Chapter 14: No retreat

Start from the beginning

"He actually has a contracted beast!" one exclaimed.

In that case, it really changed everything! That meant that he had a core and obviously, he would be very favored. Even if he wasn't a noble it was fine, orphans with a core, be it female or male were taken care of with utmost sincerity by a branch of the imperial academy. In this situation, not helping while knowing would be bad, while if they helped they could receive some benefits. Who knew, even this young master could be grateful and help them rise in ranks.

Some immediately got up to see if they could recognize the person, while others were trying to coax the animal to take some distance so they could help lift its master.

Seeing them unwilling to go, Huang didn't shy away from using its fire. They were quick to run away this time. A good thing! It then turned to face the sleeping man, the question now was, how to transport him, ah? At first, the bird had thought to turn him invisible and use wind to lift him. But really, now it was too tired! Too unwilling! So, since there was distance and that woman wouldn't hear, it used qi to make its chirps be heard.

***

Seyran was still sitting on the Imperial Physician's quarter's sick bed, slowly eating what the woman in the room with her had previously ordered to be brought. Questioned, she didn't respond, but she didn't deny it either when the sets of trays were placed on her big bed. Soon, all the space around her was full of food and she picked up the chopsticks, slowly filling her stomach. It wasn't like she would refuse ready-made energy now, would she? However, she did wonder if the woman would leave. Until now she behaved obediently, even though she seemed to be prepared for the moment Seyran would attack. It made this former queen remembered some of Unzu's clans. Indeed, there were people like that there and they were many. Once their chief was dead, the killer became their new chief. She still had to wonder though, was it really the same case here? That the other was uncomfortable was quite obvious by now. Either because of her presence or the temperature, it could also very well be both.

While she was swallowing another mouthful, Seyran heard the loud chirp in her mind, wincing a little. Just how far did this thing think it was from her to shout like that? She didn't actually get to dwell on that, that she was frowning over the information itself.

She put the chopsticks down and her voice, neither loud nor silent, without any fluctuations nor emotions in it, she asked.

"What did you say you were called again?"

"Replying to the crown princess, this subject is Shen Ai." She hesitated a little then continued. "Captain of the crown princess's personal bodyguards."

"Shen Ai" Seyran called, tasting the name on her tongue.

"Yes," the other responded.

Seyran looked at the almost completely closed windows. "That bird is outside the palace. Approximately three hundred meters in the direction of the north. Near a certain clock. A young man should be by its sides." She reported her gaze toward the captain. Her eyes were clear, her voice calm, so calm and steady. The corners of her lips rose in an almost smile, that had she known its meaning, Shen Ai would be sweating in fright. "So willing you are to serve me, I trust I can leave to you the matter of bringing that person here."

Shen Ai paused a little before acknowledging the order. Going out of the door, she actually had in mind to send Yue Meili and Tian Gu to retrieve that person, but in the end, when voicing the order, she included herself in the going party while those left were Yue Meili and Zhang Bei.

"Don't enter, just guard the doors" she had said.

Why? She herself didn't really know. If to say that the inside was suffocating, it wouldn't be wrong; just that she didn't know why it was suffocating. It certainly wasn't just the temperature.