Chapter 11: Fenrir

"Can you defeat that lion?" she asked softly.

'Who cared about an oversized cat when my mighty self is here?' That's what Huang wanted to chirp with brag but this little bird's cultivation, was it really enough to battle against that giant? One could feel that lion's enormous amount of qi even just standing here. If it could be a surprise attack that would end in one move then the victory could be theirs but if the battle was long then Huang would tired way quicker for it didn't have that much reserve at all and in the end, it would lose more than just its mightiness.

"This one isn't sure." Better be honest than regret later! One should know one's own limits.

Seyran didn't talk. She couldn't really feel the animal's qi like Huang so she couldn't really judge. But the bird had a faint impression that she was dissatisfied. It felt real chills here, its heart badly frightened. Hey, since when was she caring? Will she care if this bird disappeared too? It felt quite certain she would, as useful as it was, it would be a great loss for her was it to disappear. Maybe by then, she'd be tearing earth and sky apart. Huang nodded its head in affirmation, quite certain of itself. If that servant could get her so worked up then for this formidable bird, she would certainly be crying. Lost in its own world, it was Seyran's curt voice that brought the bird back.

"Follow that person."

Between all the shouting of the merry population, congratulating the princess and welcoming her back, only Huang heard her. Seyran was intently looking at the woman on the lion's back, so Huang needn't ask who she was referring to. It spread its beautifully vibrant red wings and flew, following the passing procession which had at its lead the smiling princess who was waving her hands.

No one noticed –or specifically bothered with- the little bird which landed on the roof of the princess's carriage.

***

The minister of rites had really overworked herself to get everything organized for the fourth princess's return and with the royal advisor breathing down her neck every time, it wasn't an easy thing to do. But the results of months' worth of preparation were quite satisfying. Decorations hung everywhere in the capital and all along, beautiful welcoming songs of multiples musicians kept the procession company until they entered the principal gates of the palace.

The palace itself was the most stunning. Fresh petals of mix colors were adorning the floor, clothes with vivacious shades were draped on walls, from places to places one could read, written in calligraphy the words 'welcome back'. Upon entering the tall gates, from side to side, lines of guards were seen with, in front of them, their contracted beasts. As the procession kept on going, the beasts released their elements in the sky, fire, water, and thunder formed lovely figures. At the end of the line, was the minister of rites, a woman of forty, with a small smiled on her face. She bowed her head, bidding the princess welcome and asking her to follow. Still on the back of her lion, the princess followed her to the biggest garden of the palace, by the side reserved for the queen. But since there wasn't an official queen yet, it was the crown princess that granted access to this place. It was really a spacious place with magnificent flowers that were beautifully trimmed, fake mountains and a pool by its left.

Every official had been invited; even the fourth elders were present today, to welcome the fourth princess back.

The moment the procession stopped walking, the palace's guards which had followed behind, ordered their contracted beasts to release in concert their elements in the sky once again. Now it wasn't simply beautiful forms, but the words 'welcome back, fourth princess' could be seen in the sky. They were exquisitely written and easily identifiable. The minister smiled happily at the amazed gazes of some invitees. For the first princess's return, it had been impossible to coordinate the beasts to write 'welcome back, first princess' so only the word 'welcome' had been displayed. But now she had personally chosen and trained those people for this. All that was left now were the fireworks but those would have to wait for the night.