Before The World Ends...(1)

♔ Chapter One ♔

An Unexpected Visit

I sat on the counter looking out the window above the kitchen sink. People passed by on the crowded city street below, some knocking and bumping into each other. Shades of grey and black and navy blue covered the walk, all the various business suits meshing into one big blah. I pressed my cigarette to my lips and inhaled, letting the smoke filter its way slowly through my lungs before grudgingly exhaling. I watched as the smoke wafted through the air, swirling up to the celing before folding in on itself and settling there near the kitchen light.

I sighed and looked at the floor. Her old T-shirt still lay there on the tiles, taunting me. I felt the lump in my throat grow bigger the more I gazed at it. Why hadn't she called? Why does she always keep me waiting so long? I knew by now this to be her nature, but sometimes it was just so hard to act normal without her. Klara. Klara Roy. Klara Maxwell Roy. She had the most beautiful blonde hair, the warmest brown eyes, the softest smile...and she's mine. Or so I like to think. She always gone...her job requires frequent travel. I've never been able to keep up. I doubt I ever will be. But I don't care. As long as someday her name is Klara Maxwell Hathens I'm willing to turn my back on my worries...

...If only they would stay away. How I worry for her, wonder what she's doing and where she is. I miss her, so much. It aches when I think of her to much. It bleeds when I don't think of her enough. I guess my mind is a bit off. I guess I've lost myself in her world so much that no matter what happens I'll always be caught up in the life of Klara. Stress. All this stress. I take another inhale of smoke and breath it out slowly. My mind is rotting to the core from all this pressure that's building up inside me. I think I might explode.

Please Klara...wherever you are...whatever you're doing today...hear me. Call me. Talk to me. Send me a letter. Do...something...so I can breath right again.

The nasally ring of the telephone sounded from the other room. I dropped the cigarette butt down the kitchen sink and hurried to answer it. I picked it up on the second ring, not daring to let it go another moment.

"Hello?"

"Jett? That's you, right?"

My mind screamed hallelujah as the sound of her voice instantly began to soothe my worried thoughts. "Yes, Klara. It's me."

"You sound ill...are you okay?"

I chuckled quietly to myself. If only she knew, knew how I get when she leaves. "I'm fine, dear. How are you?"

"I'm doing great. Italy's been good to me; the people where I am are so nice and considerate, and for once I won't come home a pale monster. I actually managed to get a tan while I was here. Imagine that!"

I smiled. "I bet it only makes you look even more perfect."

I heard her laugh, and could almost feel her face warm through the phone as she blushed. "I'm not perfect, hun."

"You are to me."

She laughed again, and I felt like I was taking a bite out of heaven. These were the moments I missed when she was away. "I'll be home soon, three days at maximum."

"Alright. I can't wait."

"Neither can I, Jett, neither can I. I have to go now, but I'll be back soon. Take care darling."

"I will. See you soon."

I hung the phone on its hook again, and so ended our short conversation. Finally...I can sleep in peace knowing that my Klara will be coming home soon enough.

♔♔♔♔♔

The day was a warm one, the bright fall leaves swaying to the grass all around us. The sun was perched high among the clouds, its huge yellow face smiling at us. The wind danced around me and Klara, whispering words of romance and comfort in our ears, words only our individual minds could decipher. I held Klara a little closer to me, my arm wrapped gently around her waist with my jacket over her shoulders. We walked along the dirth path, our steps perfectly matched as we took in the scenery and each other.