Chapter 4 - Vatos

Outfits in the external link

Day One

Day - Outside Atlanta - Quarry - Lake

Amy and Andrea were fishing out in a boat.

Amy looked at Andrea.

Andrea looked at Amy, looking at her rod, looking away.

"What?" Amy asked.

"Nothing," Andrea told her.

Amy sighed. "It's not nothing. It's always something."

Andrea looked at her. "Didn't Dad teach you to tie nail knots?"

"Why would he do that?" Amy asked. "He only ever used a fisherman's knot." She looked at her. "One knot."

"No, he didn't," Andrea told her. "No, he tied at least three."

Amy looked at her rod. "Clinch knots? No way."

Andrea rolled her eyes. "Fine, I'm making it up." There was a moment of silence. Andrea looked at Amy's rod. "Did Dad teach you mostly dry lures?"

"Yeah," Amy answered. "You?"

"Wet," Andrea told her.

Amy looked at her. "You're kidding." Andrea looked away. "But he was always so adamant. I mean, you know Dad on the fishing thing."

"Gee, you think?" Andrea asked. "I only spent my entire childhood with my ass in a boat. But in my day it was all about getting the hook seated. We were fishing for the dinner table."

"Not us," Amy told her. "We always threw them back. Always."

"I guess he changed things up," Andrea told her.

"But that'd be like changing his religion or something," Amy told her.

"People change," Andrea told her. "It's not his fault we were born 12 years apart."

"Says that woman who have a crush on someone who is 12 years younger then her," Amy told her, chuckling slightly.

Andrea sighed, smiling a little. "Are we starting this now?"

"No, I'm sorry, not yet," Amy told her, sighing, shaking her head. "You know, because the minute you went off to college it was my ass in that boat and he taught me dry lures from day one. This was not behaviour developed over time."

Andrea looked away, smiling a small sad smile, tears in her eyes, looking at Amy. "You think he did it for us?"

Amy had tears in her own eyes. "Because he knew we were so different." She chuckled. "He knew that you needed to catch the fish and I needed to throw them back."

Andrea looked away. "All right, remember his rule. No crying in the boat. It scares the fish."

"Mom and Dad--I mean, maybe Florida wasn't hit so bad," Amy told her, tears in her eyes. "Maybe it's better there. Do you think?"

Andrea and Amy looked at each other.

There was noises from Amy's rod.

"I think you have a bite," Andrea told her. "Even with the wrong knots."

Amy sniffed, wiping a tear away. "Oh God." She chuckled. "So much for the no crying rule."

"I think that was more for Dad than the fish," Andrea told her.