you stabbed me, mr. stark

Start from the beginning

Next to them was Mary Jane, who Scout had also missed dearly on hanging out with. Mary Jane and Scout met in sixth grade art class, and both girls shared a passion for oil pastels and water colors. She became friends with Gwen, Harry, and Scout very naturally, and was the voice of reason and realism in their small group. She kept everyone in check and was honest, truthful, and loyal. Best of all, she focused on the important things; keeping herself and others happy.

Lastly, sitting beside Scout, was Miles Morales. Ever since the day Scout met Miles, she knew he was a good person. Their friendship started with him asking her for help on homework and sitting at the lunch table with everyone, and grew to being included in every conversation and event that was within their little group. He was shy and cheerful, optimistic and kind.

Her friends were the distraction that Scout desperately needed. When she was with them, she felt like her ordinary self. Scout Paxton, the girl who loved drawing and paints and literature and coffee. Who liked to spend her time creating art pieces of reading or watching movies with her little sister.

And so sitting in the booth with her friends while they dipped their fries in their shakes and talked about anything and everything going on at Midtown, Scout felt content and calm. Lately she had been caught in the eye of the hurricane, and now she felt like the clouds were finally parting.

It was the beginning of April, and the weather in New York was slowly becoming less gray and a little more lively. The temperature was rising into the sixties, and blue skies were making a grand reappearance. It was one of Scout's favorite times, for she didn't need to worry about bundling up like an eskimo every time she had to run to the grocery or drop something off at the post office.

Her boots padded along the pavement and she pulled her cardigan tighter around her body. Her thumb mindlessly ran across the smooth, metal ring on her right hand, twisting it around her finger as if it was her safety blanket. Inside the bag resting on her shoulder were her gauntlets and her mask, which she now carried most places just incase. That day was the first day in a long time that she didn't feel paranoid while walking down the street; in fact, crime had been pretty silent since she'd been back in America, and she wouldn't take it for granted.

She reached her desired destination, going inside the apartment building and making her way to the elevator. She went to the fourth floor and walked down the hallway, planting her feet in front of a familiar door and knocking three times in a particular manner. She heard several locks being undone before the door opened, revealing Derek standing there in a Yankees cap and sweats.

The two bid a quiet and slightly awkward hello as Scout made her way in, and her eyes instantly scanned the perimeter of the small living space. Like most days, Jerry was planted at the table working on some invention, safety goggles pulled over his face and shoulders hunched. He waved a hello to Scout and then continued working. But she was surprised to see that Michelle wasn't there, which made her believe this was more serious than she was anticipating.

"Come here, I want to show you something," Derek ushered her over to where his computer sat on the couch, and she took a seat, picking it up and placing it on her lap. He sat next to her and pressed a key, causing a picture to appear. "Recognize this?"

It was a photo from Bucharest taken from a helicopter view. It was of four figures on a roof of a building; Captain America, the Winter Soldier, Black Panther, and an unnamed fighter in a metallic blue suit. Scout shook her head and shrugged, "No, I've never seen that picture before in my life."