5 ; great dates and gloves

5.

"that place was so nice!" eddie says, as they walk into the chilly night.

they had just been sitting in a nice restaurant, on their first date. richie still can't believe he went on a date with eddie kaspbrak. the love of his life. now, it's just a matter of telling him.

"the food was incredible," eddie continues to gush. the smile on his face is remarkable, and richie feels like he's falling in love with eddie all over again. "seriously, the penne vodka i had was to die for."

"yeah, my food was really good, too," richie says. he's not really focused on the conversation they have as they walk to eddie's car, but rather the hand he's holding. eddie's hands are smaller than his, and a bit colder, but they fit perfectly in his and feel just right. as cheesy as it sounds in his head, richie thinks their hands are made to hold each others.

they reach eddie's car, and richie feels like the date is going to end. but then he remembers, he lives with eddie. they've gone a date, so what does that mean for them?

"i had an amazing time, richie," eddie says, turning to face richie and taking both of his hands in his. "like, this is the best date i've ever been on." he's smiling so wide richie thinks it has to hurt, but it makes richie smile back.

"i have to say, eds, this is the best date i've been on, too." richie smirks when eddie smacks his chest lightly.

"how many times have i told you not to call me eds!" but eddie is laughing, cheeks pink—half because he blushing, half because it's incredibly cold outside.

"eddie," richie says, and the smaller boy's laughing subsides as he looks at richie. richie decides it's now as good a time as any to tell eddie how he feels. not just that he likes him—richie thinks eddie has already been able to figure out that much—but that he loves him. like, wants-to-spend-the-rest-of-his-life-and-grow-old-together loves him.

"richie."

"i haven't been able to say this, because people keep interrupting at the worst fucking times, but i want to tell you, i luh–"

"excuse me!"

"you have to be shitting me," richie whispers, and turns to see their waitress jogging out of the restaurant, a pair of gloves in her hand.

"sorry to bother you, folks, but you left your gloves at your table. thought i'd just return them," the waitress says, handing them to richie. he stares down at the pair of gloves now in his hand, and then looks back at the waitress, putting on a plastic smile.

"thanks," he says. she nods, bidding them a good evening and going back inside.

"you were saying?" eddie's curiosity is evident in his voice, but richie feels like the moment is ruined.

"i-i think i'll just tell you on our next date," richie says, before he can think about his words. eddie's eyebrows raise.

"there's going to be another date?" richie can hear hopefulness as eddie speaks, and that makes him less anxious. at least he likes you back, richie thinks.

"yeah," richie says. he sounds more confident than he feels. "thursday night." eddie grins.

"okay, that sounds great."

his big announcement will have to wait until thursday, richie supposes.

——

there's only one more part of this story, but i was thinking of maybe making one of these five-and-one type stories for benverly and stenbrough?? but who knows i have so many books rn

- m