4 ; tangled limbs and tough questions

4.

richie's head is pounding when he wakes up. he is suddenly very aware that his arm is around someone, and that someone smells just like vanilla and cherry.

richie opens his eyes, squinting against the light streaming in from the cracks between the blinds, to see a room very familiar and a boy even more so.

eddie is cuddled up against richie, his back pressing against the older boy's chest. richie is panicking.

it's not like he and eddie haven't cuddled before, or fallen asleep in the same bed. it is more so the fact that richie had been drunk last night and now he is laying in bed with his best friend, and he can see eddie's jeans and t-shirt from last night discarded on the floor.

he carefully lifts his arm from around eddie's waist and lifts up eddie's comforter, looking down at his legs and sighing in relief when he sees—his eyesight rather blurry—he's still wearing the same jeans he was the night before. he hand then moves to the nightside table, where he gropes around until he feels his glasses. richie slides them onto his face.

richie freezes as eddie shifts, turning around to face richie. he eyelids flutter open, and when he notices richie, his cheeks flush bright red.

"good morning," he mumbles, not making a move to get away from richie. of course, the brown eyed boy doesn't mind at all.

richie's nose scrunches as a pain shoots through his head at the volume of eddie's voice. even though it's not much above a whisper, it's still too loud for his hangover.

"fuck," eddie whispers. "sorry, i forgot you probably have a hangover."

"don't worry about it," richie whispers back, smiling reassuringly. "uh, what happened last night?"

eddie chuckles quietly. "you were so drunk last night I had to help you inside, and you nearly fell asleep. i brought you in here because i thought it'd be better if i could hear you get up in the middle of the night in case you had to vomit or something."

richie thinks eddie is sweet then. really damn sweet, and a fantastic friend. so he tells him.

"you're a great friend, eddie. thanks."

eddie smiles, but it doesn't quite reach his eyes. "anytime, richie."

he untangles himself from his roommate and gets out of bed. he's wearing only boxers as he searches through his closet for a clean shirt.

richie tries not to stare. but it's just his luck that eddie looks back at richie to say something and catches him. he smirks.

"see something you like?"

richie's mouth goes dry.

"a-actually yes."

eddie's eyes widen and he looks back into the closet, looking like he's thinking. richie smirks, sitting up and grabbing his phone to check his accounts and messages.

"hey, richie?" he looks back, his hands playing nervously with the shirt now in his hands.

"hm?"

"would you want to go to dinner? tonight?"

richie's eyebrows raise. "do you mean like–"

"a date, yes."

richie doesn't hold back the grin that splits across his face. "of course."

eddie smiles, relief showing on his face.

"awesome. i've been meaning to ask you for a few days actually. i just never found the right moment."

"i've actually been meaning to tell you something too. we always get interrupted but, eddie, i'm kind of really i-"

"richie! eddie! are you guys up?"

richie's head is pounding as a loud voice shouts through the house. eddie's eyebrows are raised in surprise and richie rolls his eyes as stanley emerges in the doorway. he's wearing sunglasses, despite being inside. ge smirks at the sight of a half naked eddie and richie sitting on his bed.

"how did you even get in?" richie asks.

"you gave me a spare months ago. anyway, i just came to say you left one of your shoes at my flat." stan tosses a sneaker onto the floor."

"uh, thanks."

"no problem. see you, guys." stan walks back down the hallway.

when eddie hears the front door click shut behind him, he asks, "sorry. like you said, we keep getting interrupted. what were you saying?"

"maybe it can wait," richie says, sighing quietly as eddie shrugs and tosses his shirt over his head.

——

happy thanksgiving to all my fellow americans !!

- m