Mend A Broken Heart

"Why do you hide your feelings?"

"Because..." she mumbled. "If I open up, my heart WILL break. "Liz's voice was barely above a whisper. She was afraid; afraid of love and all its tricks.

Tristan looks at her with a warm expression on his face. "Hiding won't make you stronger, nor will it make you weaker. It makes you shut people out, be lonely and you above everyone else know that."

Liz breathed in ever so slowly. She feared her voice would break while talking so she looked right past him. Her next words stung like bees. "It's the best I can do, that way I won't get hurt."

Tristan looked skeptical by Liz's words. He tried to lift her chin up but it did not work, the only thing he could do now was get down and meets her at eye level just so he could see her face. And in a soft voice says "Why not change that thought?" when she didn't answer he added "Why not open up for once?"

She looks at him with those sad eyes of hers "because, there's too much to lose my love." Liz was about to touch Tristan's cheek but stopped herself, remembering she should not dare to love again. Liz turned around so he could not see the tears that were threatening to come out.

Tristan was now angry, and not yet ready to let go of a love that is yet to begin. It seems as her fear for love and loss is greater than the love she has for him, at this very moment.

The wind picked up speed and the night turned colder. Tristan, all but screamed "Risk it" and as he saw Liz flinch for the sudden outburst in a quiet night, Tristan breathed in and out to calm himself down. "Live, love, be free, don't let the fears of the past control your future." He said clearly exasperated.

Liz turned around and intently looked at Tristan, no longer caring for the tears that were spilling. "The problem..." as soon as she spoke her voice cracked. As quickly as it happened she controlled it. "The problem with it is that I'm too scared, and I won't dare risking it."

No matter what, Tristan understood. He got as close to Liz as she let him and made her look into his caramel colored eyes. "How will you love? Or better said, how will you ever love again? How will you learn from it if you don't try?" one on his hands took Liz's hand and the other caressed her cheek.

She closed her eyes breathing in shaky breaths and trying to stop anymore tears from falling. For her it was the point of no return, it was agonizing to have to always pull back. Tristan hugged her as tight as he could without hurting her.

As he stroked her hair he whispered "It's alright" over and over again. "No one will hurt you. Not while I'm around"

"How do you know?" Liz asked once she felt calm. She was confused and would not believe any word she just heard.

At that exact moment the wind stopped blowing so violently, the cloudy sky turned into a starry night and the moon and stars shone. Liz looked at Tristan right in the eyes expecting something, even though she didn't know what to expect.

He kissed her temple. "Because I'm here and no one will break, bend, or hurt you or your heart. It will only heal from here on."

His hugs, his touch, his voice, his very presence seems to calm her down.

Wanting to have all her questions and doubts answered she asked:

"How are you so sure of that?"

His answer to that question was:

"I won't allow it. I will protect you with my life if I have to." He closed the distance between them "because, you hold my heart in your hands and most importantly because I love you with all my heart." Liz blushed by the statement.

'My hearts' not ready, better said I'm not ready but, if it's him I can at least try. He has already mended a piece of this broken soul' as she tough it they kissed.