Chapter Thirty Four

Start from the beginning

I sighed a tiny sigh of relief to hear that I wouldn't be separated from my brothers, but my heart hurt for Debbie. I didn't want her to be alone.

"Okay well, here we are at the group home." The lady announced now as we pulled up to a gray brick building that read Gunderson Home

"Well, it really puts the home in group home." Lip joked as we unbuckled our seatbelts and began to get out of the van.

Debs unbuckled hers too and sat up on her seat, staring at us.

I tussled her hair.

"It'll only be a couple days. Every Gallagher can handle that, right?" I said, trying to smile. 

"I'll take care of Liam." Carl piped up.

"Yes, you will." Lip ordered.

I leaned in to hug my sister, and she wrapped her arms around me tightly. 

"I'll see you soon, alright?" I told her, hearing my own voice crack. She sniffled into my shirt and I reluctantly pulled away.  I gave Carl and Liam quick hugs, and lifted up my duffel bag. Ian and Lip said goodbye to our other siblings, then Ian shut the van door.

We began walking up the steps of the Gunderson Home, and suddenly, a tall, black man opened the wooden doors, coming out to greet us.

"Hello. My name is D'Andre, and this is the Gunderson House. A Level 14 boys and girls group home housing underage D&D's in the Chicago system." 

"Is that Dungeons and Dragons, or-" Lip started, typing furiously on his cell phone.

D'Andre reached out and grabbed it from him.

"Delinquents and Deviants." He glared at us.

"Follow me."

So we did, and followed him inside. 

"This will be your primary residence until we figure out which one you are." D'Andre said as he led us up the stairs.

"Your wallets and cell phones will be in my care until you've proven to me that you can follow the rules."

"So it's like prison?" I thought out loud.

D'Andre turned around and glared at me.

"It's up to you. You'll be given an opportunity to earn back your money and your cell phone privileges." He said as we stopped in the hallway in front of a metal door. He took out a key that was attached to the lanyard on his belt and unlocked the door. Inside was a bunch of bunk beds with tons of girls walking around or laying on top of their beds. 

My heart instantly started pounding in my chest, knowing what was coming. 

"Jessica, you'll be staying in the girls section of the home." D'Andre announced.  "Boys and girls are separated most of the time. They barely see each other, except at mealtimes. It's easier that way, and less cause of anyone having sexual relations." 

 I glanced at Ian and Lip, shaking my head. I didn't want to be separated from them. Last time this happened, we were all in the same home together. This was the one time we were in some weird group home that was more like a fucking labor camp.

I was scared.

Ian nodded, reaching out to squeeze my hand. 

"Go, Jessie. It's gonna be okay." He said quietly. 

Now, I felt the tears coming. I felt one slip, and before I could wipe it away, Ian reached out and did it for me.

"Don't cry. It's only for a little while." He whispered as he pulled me in for a hug.