Chapter Twenty Nine

The baby shenanigans started dying down about a week after Karen gave birth. I'm pretty sure Sheila and Jody stole the baby from the hospital for themselves, or at least that's what I heard.

Lip was staying at Mandy's house, and he was done with Karen. I knew he was upset about what happened between them, but he was trying not to show it. He still wasn't talking to Fiona, and he's come to the house once, only when she wasn't home. I wanted him home, and I know everyone else did too.

I was heading out this morning to go see him, hoping I could bring him back home. Fi passed her GED test, and I wanted to see if this could convince Lip to come back.

I walked the four blocks to Mandy's house, pulling my coat tighter around me. It was the beginning of December here in Chicago, and it was getting cold.

I hopped the rickety wooden steps and knocked on the door. After about two minutes, it swung open and Mickey stood there, a cigarette between his fingers.

"What?" He asked rudely.

"I'm looking for Lip. Is he here?" I asked.

He blew out a puff of smoke and turned away.

"Lip! Your sister is here!" He called.

I heard someone walking, and soon, Lip was at the door. He grinned at me.

"Hey." He said.

"Hi."

He stepped outside and Mickey shut the door behind him, rolling his eyes. By the way he glared at me, I assumed he wasn't the one who gave Ian that massive hickey (which I still have to ask him about).

"How are you?" I asked, giving him a hug.

"I'm alright." He replied.

We pulled away and I looked him over.

"You sure?" I double checked.

He nodded.

"Well, Fiona passed her GED test." I said now, getting straight to the point.

Lip raised his eyebrows.

"Did she?"

"Yeah, she did. And she would love it if you came back home." I said.

Lip looked towards the street, avoiding my stare.

"Did she say that?"

"You know how she isn't really the best at expressing her emotions. She misses you. We all do." I said softly, moving closer to him on the tiny front stoop and looking up at him.

"Please come home, Lip." I begged.

He sighed.

"Maybe."

I smiled.

"Okay." I said, looping my arm through his.

That was a start.

*

"Jess! Come on! We are gonna be late!" Fiona called to me that night.

"I'm coming!" I shouted as I strapped on my black high heels. I hurried downstairs, where Fiona, Debbie, Carl, and Ian were waiting.

Jimmy had asked if we wanted to come to dinner to meet his parents. Naturally, I didn't want to, but if it meant we got a fancy dinner that Jimmy was paying for, then I was in.

Jimmy had arranged for a car to come and get us, so we all headed outside and got into the sleek black car.

Jimmy was waiting outside the restaurant when we got there. He gave Fiona a kiss when we stepped out of the car.