Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

"I thought you were going."

"I was," Robbie offered. "But something came up."

Seb looked at Sawyer who shrugged unknowingly. "I dunno."

"But I thought Big Daddy's Arcade was important," Sebastian pressed.

"It is," Robbie said, but this is more important. He headed to the door.

"But what could be more important?" Seb mocked. "What could be better than mindless video games?"

Robbie turned and frowned. "You know something, you're a real ass without Charlie. I liked you better before."

Sebastian watched Robbie leave in stunned silence.

Charlie took a cab to the airport. The cab driver parked and didn't move from his seat. She had no luggage with her, just a backpack. "Have a nice flight, miss," he said.

She went inside and headed directly to the counter to purchase her ticket. She was an hour ahead of schedule and assuming her parents didn't wake up at the crack of dawn, by the time their eyes opened and they realized she was gone, she'd be touching down in California.

She picked up a black coffee, thinking she'd need it because adrenaline could only last for so long. While she waited, she sipped her coffee and texted Robbie again. He replied almost instantly.

With an hour to kill, she decided to people watch. There was a young girl across from her about Devin's age. Charlie felt guilty about their fight earlier and wished Devin was with her so she could apologize. In the girls hands was the latest issue of "Teen Talk" magazine and Sebastian's face was gracing the cover.

His eyes were piercing and danced with a certain kind of playfulness. She hoped that the picture wasn't taken within the last month or so. She wanted to believe that she was the one he was playful for, that she was the one that made him feel alive. If she didn't believe that, there was no point in setting foot on the plane.

Several hours and at least five coffees later, Charlie was in Costa Mesa, glad she'd researched hotels. She had almost a full day's wait until the concert. She considered trying to find him, not that she would have to try because Robbie already told her exactly where they were. But spying on them, just to see him, just to make the pain that was still very much in her chest go away was seriously tempting. She opted to try and get some sleep instead. She checked into the hotel and headed for the room, drawing the dark curtains to block out the intrusive rays of the sun.

The room was either totally soundproof or she was more alone than she'd ever been. Before she could think about how nervous she was, her heavy eyelids closed.

Robbie's next text woke her.

Hey beautiful, we're in business. Sent you the file about an hour ago. Lemme know if you have any problems. Listen and love it.

Charlie smiled. Thank you Robbie, that means everything. Do you think it will work?

I have no idea but you'll never know unless you try. I gave security your info. Everything is set for tonight, I'll see you then.

Charlie moved on to the important task of selecting what she going to wear. She ended up going to the shops and purchasing a blue summery baby-doll dress. Sebastian liked blue. At least he used to. She hoped he still would after seeing her tonight.

She sure had a laundry list of high hopes

Sebastian pulled on his socks. "Damn. You'd think that stylist chick, Nikki would've thought about places like here or Vegas where it's ten thousand degrees."