Nightmare

Attention Readers! This work is in the process of being re-written so that it makes more sense. Characters and scenes have been edited so please bare with me as I switch things over.
Dylan= Tyler Lockwood
Nate= Luke Parker
Story is set in the dorms of Whitmore College.

The painful lack of blood in my right arm is what wakes me. I try to move it but the discover that heavy weight that is Kai laying on it. I sigh, trying to pull my arm out from under him with no success.

"Kai?" I say softly, trying to rouse him gently. He doesn't respond. "Kai." I try again, slightly louder this time and attempt to pull it out again. Still nothing. I let out a puff of air and frown, my arm aching. I poke him hard in the ribs and he makes a slight grumble. I do it again, harder and raise my voice even louder. He shifts all at once, awake and suddenly looming over me defensively, my wrists pinned back on the mattress. There's a wild, terrified look in his eyes that quickly disappears once he realizes and instantly lets off. My breath is caught in my throat, startled.

"Sorry," he rolls back onto his side of the bed, sitting up and running a hand through his hair. I cautiously sit up next to him.

"Remind me not to wake you like that," I try to chuckle but it drops in my throat. Something isn't right.

He says nothing, tossing the blankets off his legs and getting up, heading towards the bathroom.

"Kai?" I hesitate for a moment before getting up and following him, pushing open the cracked door he left behind him. The faucet is on, his head down, wet hands braced on either side of the sink, water dripping off his face. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Go back to bed, (Y/N)."

"Are you-"

"Go." His voice is hard and I step back, feeling like a skiddish dog as I walk back to the bed and climb in, placing my body on the very far edge of the bed, my back to the bathroom. I nervously bite at my fingernails and wait for him to come back. Its only about ten minutes until he comes back into bed, not acknowledging me. I bite my lip, uncomfortable. Its silent between us, heavy.

"I'm sorry." I say quietly. It's a moment before he responds.

"For what?" I really don't know.

"For....whatever I did that...upset you?"

"You didn't know. "

"What happened that-"

"It's not something I want to talk about." His voice is hard and I flinch. It's quiet again, for longer this time. His breathing evens out, and I can tell he's asleep once again. I fidget for a while until finally getting up. The clock reads 5am.

I quietly open the bedroom door, folding my arms as I walk down the empty hallway.
It's so completely dark and empty that it feels almost surreal. I make my way to the kitchen, the floorboards cold on my feet. I pull a mug from the cupboard, setting it down on the counter and simultaneously filling the  kettle with water and setting it up to heat. While it heats, I grab my favorite tea from the cubbard and prep my mug.

A cold breeze filters in from the cracked window. I space off into my head as I wait for the water to be heat I realize that I know nothing about Kai, except that he's slightly psychotic and has been in a prison world for 20 years. I used to not care, but now I want to know more. About him, where he comes from, his family, why he wants to kill Nate. I hear the water pick up to a boil and remove it from the heat, pouring it over the tea bag into my cup.

I remember the panicked look in his eyes as he woke up. I wouldn't think that someone like him could be afraid of anything. I sit down, taking a sip of the slightly too hot tea, feeling it burn my tongue. I wrap my hands around the mug. I'm not sure how long I sit, it feels like a short amount of time, but when I look up, the kitchen is lighter. The grey morning light streams in, I drink the rest of my cold tea and stand up, starting the pot of coffee and then going back upstairs to my bedroom. I tug on a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt. I do my usual morning routine and by the time I'm done I hear the coffee maker beep.

There's no sign of anyway else being awake yet. The house is still silent so I'm careful as I go down the stairs back to the kitchen, quickly pouring a mug of coffee, adding sweet cream and heading back up. I peek into Kai's room. He's sound asleep, an arm stretched out behind his head. I slip inside his room quietly, shutting the door behind me. As soon as I sit on the bed he shifts and groans.

"Hey, how'd you sleep?"

"Hmm?" He blinks his eyes open, rubbing them until he focuses on me, looking sleepy and a little confused. "When did you get up?" His voice is rough, husky.

"A while ago. Here." I hold the coffee out for him and he sits up fully.

"Thanks." He takes it from me, our fingers brushing just briefly. I watch as he takes a sip, making a satisfied noise. His hair is messy, random tufts sticking up each and every way. "You're doing it again." He looks up at me from under his lashes.

"Doing what?"

"Staring." He looks at his coffee and back at me distrustfully. "Did you poison it?" I blink, shocked.

"God no! I just...I was just..." My words stutter out and he looks confused. "I was just looking."

"Looking? At what?" A small smile starts to creep onto his face. I feel the blood rush up into my cheeks and glance away from him.

"Nothing."

"Nothing? Clearly it must be something, otherwise you wouldn't be blushing."

"I'm not."

"You are."

"Fine. I was looking at you."

"Were you? Why's that?" He's teasing me entirely now.

"Just drink your damn coffee, Kai."

"Oh now I know you poisoned it." He laughs and I roll my eyes at him shaking my head. "C'mere." He leans forward, using his free hand to lift my chin and kiss me. Its just a peck at first but then he parts my lips with his, leaning into it more. I pull away.

"You're going to spill it." He smiles, leaning over and setting the cup down on the bedside table. He brushes the hair away from my face with both hands and presses his mouth back to mine. He kisses me slowly, relaxed and steady, his hands firm and warm. He shifts us, moving a hand to my hip and pulling me under him, laying me back against the pillows.

I wrap an arm around his shoulders, my other arm wrapped around his waist. He pushes my shirt up around my waist, squeezing my side and moving his head down to kiss my neck. A soft gasp escapes my mouth when he nips me gently. I tug his hair, pulling his mouth back to mine. He pulls one of my legs up around him. He presses himself closer to me.

"And this," he mutters between kisses, "Is what I call a good morning."