17: Nathaniel Jean's Magic Trick

Start from the beginning

She called - screeched, really - for Lucas, and in a few moments he appeared at the top of the stairwell, smiling in welcome. He began the descent to reach me, and I met him halfway, greeting him with a brief kiss. "You told them I'd be here, right?"

"Yup," he nodded. "And I talked to Sae-she won't say a word."

That was somewhat comforting. It did nothing, however, to soothe the nerves curling like vines around my intestines as we approached Lucas' bedroom. This was it. Nathaniel Jean's Attempt at Social Interaction.

Four heads turned to look when Lucas reenterred his room, expectation written across their expressions. I recognized the faces of Eric Suarez, Halima Khan, Lilliana Rogue, and - of course - Saeyoung Park.

Introductions were pretty short and very awkward. I could tell almost immediately that I was right about them already having less-than-lovely views of me. They weren't rude or anything, but their overall demeanor gave them away. In their eyes, I was nothing more than the guy who's best friends treated Lucas like dirt on a daily basis.

Conversation was light for a while. Simple small talk about school and such. Despite the distrust clear in their eyes, they made some effort into getting to know me. Sometimes they asked me questions, sometimes I asked them. Nothing was serious, and the air in the room, though not quite comfortable, was definitely at least friendly.

Until Halima opened her mouth and asked a particular, seemingly harmless question, unknowing of the shit-storm it would bring about.

"So, when did you and Lucas become friends?"

Halima Khan was a cute, short, rounder girl, with olive skin and dark eyebrows and a hijab neatly wrapped around her head. Her eyes were a very pretty hazel color, but startlingly intense for someone so small and gentle. Looking into them made me nervous, especially now that she was addressing me directly.

"The beginning of the school year, I guess," I said. That wasn't entirely true - we hadn't actually become friends until maybe the second quarter, when I'd lost the will to keep pushing him away - but that was a minute detail. "When I started giving him rides home from soccer practice."

Eric Suarez, who was sat cross-legged on the floor next to Halima, pursed his lips. "It's just kinda weird, you know? You've been friends for practically a school year and we're just now finding out about it."

Lucas and I exchanged a tentative glance. "Yeah, well," Lucas said, "We've been kind of quiet about our friendship, I guess."

Lilliana Rogue's arms folded over her chest. I could tell before she spoke that she had something to say, and I wouldn't like it. "You mean you've been too scared to let your cool friends know that you're hanging out with Lucas?"

"Lilly!" Lucas scolded, his eyes wide at his friend's sudden shift.

"No, seriously," she continued. "It's a bit ridiculous, isn't it? Are you so ashamed that you've hid your so-called friendship for an entire school year?"

"Lilly, cut it out," Saeyoung warned, but Lilliana didn't listen.

"And Lucas is such a sweetheart that he doesn't say anything, right? He just lets you walk all over him. You don't even try to defend him when your buddies are picking on him!"

"Lilly, stop," Lucas said, more firmly this time.

Feeling very claustrophobic all of a sudden, I tugged at the collar of my shirt. "I try," I told her, my voice coming out hoarse under the heat of her glare. "They don't take it."