chapter two

Chapter two

I shoved my kindle, laptop, some clothes, a few bottles of water, and the flashlight in my book bag and threw it over my shoulder. This was a just in case thing if something happened where I wouldn’t be able to come back to the house and get the stuff that I needed. I picked up my bat, slipped on my shoes and jacket and made my way downstairs. I pulled my hair band off my wrist and pulled my hair into a ponytail. Before stepping out the house I turned and felt a rush of emotions looking around hoping that this wouldn’t be the last time that I saw this place. I had so many memories here; I would hate it if I couldn’t come back. I let out a sigh and stepped out.

I took in a breath of fresh air and looked at the aftermath of chaos. Cars were crashed everywhere, some were on fire crashed into houses, some crashed into poles and trees and there were bodies lying in the streets and in some cars and blood everywhere and there were also people walking around but they weren’t the living ones they were the dead. One of them was in my drive way just standing there with his back towards me.

I stared at everything with fear. I couldn’t do this; they were going to attack me as soon as they saw me. I shook my head and turned to go back in the house when unfortunately the one in the drive way must have heard me somehow and spun around making me gasp in horror.

It was my next door neighbor Mr. Rogers, his usually handsome face was now torn off and bloody. His cheek was torn out so you could see his teeth and tongue and his blue eyes had a glaze look in it as he stared at me like I was dinner. He let out a loud moan and began to walk towards me as fast as he could but something was off about his walk. I looked down at his feet and one of them was turned at such an impossible position.

I stared wide eyed at him and frozen with fear, I knew that I need to get away but I couldn’t get my limbs to move. He was moving slowly across the grass and it wasn’t until he was only a few feet away from me and I could smell the rotten stench coming off of him that I was able to move. I ducked under his outstretched arms and ran to the driveway where my mom’s car was.

By now every one of those things had noticed me and they were all coming for me. I had nowhere to go, I was screwed. I was going to die and there wasn’t anything I could do. I was going to die here, just like my mother. I walked slowly backwards until my back hit something I squealed and turned around expecting one of the dead but it was only my mom’s car. I thought about taking the car but I didn’t have the keys and I didn’t know how to hotwire a car.

Just then something catches my eye under the front tire and wouldn’t you know it there it was, the car keys. “Oh thank the heavens!” I said bending down to get the keys and wasted no time jumping into the car. I hadn’t once driven a car in my life but that didn’t stop me from getting the hell out of dodge. It wasn’t difficult; I seen mom and dad drive many times. I put the key into the ignition and pulled out the driveway trying to avoid hitting the things.

I looked down the road in front of me and it was impossible not to hit one of them. There were so many in the street and many of them were crowding around the car now. They hit the window with the palm of their hands not knowing that they could make a fist and break the window. A loud bang came from the left of me and I yelped. A large black man with a chunk of his neck bloody and missing stood staring at me; he wasn’t acting like the others he was just staring at me with one hand laid flat on the window. He raised the hand off the window and slowly closed it making a fist and he gave me a sneer.

I quickly pulled off not caring if I hit any of them. The car would jerk up every time I ran over one making the ride very uncomfortable but soon as I went further down the road the dead cleared out and I was finally able to relax some. My mind went back to the large dead guy; he just really scared me, it was like he still had some of his intelligence, like he knew that if he made a fist and broke the glass he would be able to get to me faster unlike how the others were acting mindlessly banging against the glass without knowing that there was an easier way.