"That's what I'm here to talk about," Elijah announced.

"Your family issues?" I frowned doubtfully.

"The Bennett witches managed to open the coffin last night," he stated, ignoring my comment.

"Holy crap, really?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. "What was in it?"

I was not expecting the next words to come from his mouth.

"My mother."

I blinked. "I'm sorry, did you just say your mother? As in the mother that's been dead for a thousand years? The same one that Klaus killed?"

Elijah then delved into explaining exactly what had happened after Stefan, Damon and I had left Klaus to the wrath of his siblings last night. Instead of completely alienation Klaus, like they'd planned to, their reunion was interrupted by none other than Esther, the long dead mother.

Apparently, Bonnie's ancestor helped preserve Esther's body after she died, which was why only the Bennett bloodline could open the coffin. To sum it all up, Esther was now walking around, all well and dandy. That wasn't even the best part though, I discovered when Elijah told me what her intentions were.

I stared at him, slowly frowning.

"She wants you all to be a family again?" I repeated incredulously.

"Those were her words," Elijah nodded.

"You've gotta kidding me," I scoffed. "A thousand years on the other side and she wants to play happy family?"

"She believes that throwing this ball will bring us together as a family and help us settle into the town," Elijah announced. I could tell from his expression that he was a little doubtful of this.

"Not the way I'd go about it, but whatever floats your boat."

"I assume you'll be attending?" Elijah asked.

"I suppose," I shrugged. I paused and made a face. "I never thought I'd have to meet Klaus' mother. I hope she approves of me," I stated mockingly.

Elijah chuckled.

-

I didn't knock when I strolled into the Gilbert house. I cut through the living room and found both of my brothers and Elena standing around the kitchen, amidst conversation. All three of them turned when I entered the room and Damon arched an eyebrow.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I just had an interesting chat with Elijah," I announced. "I know who was in the coffin."

"So do we," Stefan replied.

I rose my eyebrows. "You do?"

"Elijah stopped Rebekah from killing me last night," Elena explained. Darn Elijah and his moral ways. "He told me that it was their mother."

"That's why we're here, actually," Damon stated.

"Wow, thanks for the invite," I scoffed.

"You said you didn't want to come," he pointed out.

"I didn't."

"Then why are you complaining?" Damon asked.

"Guys," Stefan stated flatly. "Can we get back on topic? Bonnie said whatever was in that coffin would help us kill Klaus."

I snorted. "Yeah, I don't know if Mother Hen would be very keen on killing her son."

"Is anyone else feeling a little used right now?" Damon asked bitterly.