Chapter 12: Slow Burn

Start from the beginning

            Angel was silent- he sat up and swung his legs over the side of the cot, so they were sitting side-by-side. Cole looked at him nervously. Coles hands were pressed together between his knees as his self confidence fell. Angel reached over and cupped Coles jaw line. He leaned closer, "yes" he whispered and pressed his lips to Coles. Cole was still for a moment before smiling into the gesture and kissing back.

            When they parted they rested their foreheads together

            When they parted they rested their foreheads together. They were both smiling, and Angel took one of Coles shaking hands. He held it tightly with his two hands and looked into Coles eyes, "I wanna get out of here" Angel whispered.

            "I think we did this whole thing backwards" Cole admitted, "usually you aren't stupid in like when you fist as someone out" he chuckled.

            "Well neither of us are known to do things correctly" Angel laughed and pulled back. He pulled the sheets off of him and settled his feet on the tile floor. Angel grabbed a pair of jeans and a long-sleeved shirt from his small pile of clothes and went off to the bathroom to change.

            While Angel changed and gathered his things from the bathroom Cole stood up and packed all the clothes and blankets back into the duffle bag. Cole sighed, it wasn't a bad sigh- he was just happy this whole thing was over. He was happy he didn't need to drive to the hospital every day. He was happy he didn't have to worry about Angel being alone anymore. He was happy he'd finally asked Angel out. He was happy Angel had said yes.

            "Ready?" Angel asked- shaking Cole from his thoughts.

            "Yeah" Cole held one of his hoodies in his hands, "it's colder than when you arrived here- wear this" Cole blushed slightly, seeing Angel in his sweater was different now. It was...cute, no longer just a friend helping out a friend. It was someone he liked wearing his clothes.

            "You're so cute" Angel laughed, "blushing now" Angel grinned but pulled the sweater over his head. Cole swung the duffle bag over his shoulder and held his hand out for Angel- a gesture that just made him more embarrassed, "are you sure?" Angel asked, "you are basically forcing yourself out of the closet in front of strangers. We don't have to"

            "Take my damn hand" Cole insisted, and Angel shook his head but complied- wrapping his hand around Coles. Angel had always been slightly taller than Cole- maybe an inch or two but now Cole notice it. He suddenly noticed all sorts of things about Angel.

            He could feel the calluses on Angels hands from him gripping the handles of his bike. He saw the flecks of gold in Angels deep brown eyes. He noticed that Angel always put more weight on his left leg. He noticed the softness of Angels breaths. He felt the burden those shoulders had carries. He was happy to help Angel with the weight.

            They walked together to Coles car. The red headed nurse smiled at the two when she signed Angel out. She was happy to see him finally better. Cole tossed the bag in the back of his car- it plopped down next to his football bag. Angel pulled the passenger side door open and saw a brown teddy bear with a GET WELL SOON balloon tied to its wrist. Angel grinned and picked up it as he sat down, holding it in his lap. Cole slid in next to him and looked at Angel for a second and then to his steering wheel.