Chapter 12: Slow Burn

100 Pages!!

            The morning light streamed through the blinds, it was a chilly early November morning. The sky was light blue with no hint of clouds. Angel had been in the hospital for a month, the stab wounds had healed from the inside out- his ribs healed as well as the fracture to his skull. Now he was waiting for the remaining bruises and scars to fade.

            Every day from the night he woke up, Cole had come every day to keep Angel company. Matt had to go back to California for a while. Rudy had been slipping in school work so stayed home the last few days to study and catch up. Cole had missed a few practices and dropped a letter grade in two classes, but nothing was going to deter him from showing up at Angels door with a smile.

            Nothing had really happened between the two teenagers since they said they liked each other. Angel understood he was putting Cole in a difficult position. He was pulling him into a world he wouldn't be able to walk out of. He felt guilty, but every time a frown graced his face- Cole was there with warm hands- telling Angel that everything would work out.

            It had been a hard moth for everyone. Carson had won custody of Angel and was currently working on tracking Harry down. Cole had faced scrutiny at school after people found out where he went every day after school. The Matt's company had lost a sum of money. Rudy was in the final stretch of prep school. Angel was recovering.

            "So, you just need to keep taking your medication and come back in a month" the red headed nurse that had cared for Angel for the past month smiled, she held a clipboard with all of Angels health records on it. It was a thick stack of paper because of all the times he was in the ER as a kid, "Cole said he'd pick you up soon- then you'll go wherever you're going to go"

            "Not home" Angel mumbled.

            "You never have to go there again" the nurse assured, squeezing Angels shoulder.

            He smiled and sagged back into his pillow, she smiled at him and closed the door behind her as she left. Angel sat in silence- thinking of everything this year had brought him. Most of it was just beatings- the sick scent of a drug den, but then there was Cole. The only good part of this year was Angel meeting Cole. He'd never met someone so pure hearted before- it was like every word out of his mouth was a warm hug.  Angel chuckled.

            "What's so funny?" Cole asked, and Angel looked to the doorway where Cole stood with his arms crossed and smiling. Cole had a duffle bag slung over his right shoulder and he closed the door behind him as he walked into Angels room, "ready to get out of here?" Cole asked setting the bag down on the chair next to Angels bed.

            "yeah- I hate hospitals" Angel sat up and Cole sat facing him on the side of the hospital cot. Cole laid his hand on the outside of Angels thigh and Angel rose a brow, "What are you doing?"

            "Trapping you" Cole grinned.

            "Yeah?" Angel cocked a brow, "Why?"

            "So, I can ask you a question without you running away on me again" Cole said, and a ping of guilt struck Angels heart.

            "I'm sorry about that- I was just unprepared for you- I didn't know what I wanted or really felt- I said it myself- I had just been beaten and wanted comfort" Angel let his head fall downwards and he gripped his blankets tightly.

            "It's okay" Cole assured, "I don't know what I would have done if you stayed- I was unprepared too. But I'm not anymore" Cole reached out and tipped Angels cheek up, "So will you go out with me?" Cole asked nervously- his faltering smile telling Angel how scared he was.