4 | Girl Squad, Assemble!

Start from the beginning

Mondo helped Chihiro work out. He didn't have a great deal of spare time to do this, but he worked as hard as he could when they did find the time. Kiyotaka was handy with first aid if Chihiro happened to pull a muscle or bruise himself, and he brewed tea that somehow soothed the muscles even after the most long and grueling of workouts. They were like best friends, and like older brothers, and, in some ways, like parents, and they were all of those things to Chihiro at once.

To other people, it might have seemed strange to go so far for a friend's anniversary. But for Chihiro Fujisaki, it was the least he could do.

Chihiro shook his head to focus himself on the conversation once more. It had advanced without him, as he'd expected. The others hadn't acknowledged his quietness, save for the occasional curious glance from Sakura.

"Well... I can't chat for long, but if you wish to discuss something, you're welcome to use my dorm," Kiyotaka announced. He pushed the door open, and Asahina stormed right through it, Sakura right behind her as always. Chihiro followed only after Kiyotaka nodded at him.

Instead of sitting on the cushions on the floor, Asahina threw herself into Kiyotaka's bed. Sakura laughed under her breath as she sat on the bottom corner. Chihiro and Kiyotaka exchanged glances, shrugged, and then jumped onto the mattress together. They formed something of a circle.

"Sooooo," Asahina began. "Can you guess what we're here to talk to you about?"

Kiyotaka looked at his boots as he thought. Chihiro noted the way that he tried to keep the soles from touching his clean sheets. He'd normally remove them before getting on a bed, but with that many laces, it would likely be a hassle.

"...The anniversary? I suspected that you all might be... involved."

"You're sharper than your boyfriend, that's for sure," Asahina laughed. Kiyotaka frowned.

"He's not stupid."

"Well, no, he isn't. Not really. He's just kinda forgetful."

"...That's true." Kiyotaka scratched his cheek. "I-I do hope he hasn't forgotten—"

"Oh, he hasn't," Chihiro interrupted. "Kirigiri-chan is making sure of that much."

Kiyotaka blushed, looking immediately flustered and defensive.

"She doesn't have to go to such lengths!" he declared, his voice booming. "We are both perfectly capable of handling—"

"Yeah, yeah," Asahina giggled. She ignored the oncoming lecture. "We're helping whether you like it or not. You should just accept it by now."

Kiyotaka grumbled something under his breath, his arms folded. Chihiro could see him holding an angry outburst in. He was probably counting, just to focus his mind elsewhere.

"...I suppose certain things must be tolerated. ...I won't have any of you interfering with my plans, though," Kiyotaka replied sternly, assuming his prefect stance. Sakura perked up.

"Plans? What plans would those be?"

"Er..."

A long pause. Kiyotaka fiddled with his disciplinary committee armband.

"...You don't wanna tell us?" Asahina pouted. "Come on, spill the beans!"

"It's not that I don't want to tell you," Kiyotaka corrected. "It's that I don't know whether or not I can. It's... I have to focus on the project, and I'm afraid I can't even give you many details about that. The only one who can truly help me with this is Kirigiri-chan. If you want to help, tell her to continue dropping hints to her father."