An Old Friend

An alarm went off and Jasmine jumped up. She looked at the time and panicked. She shook Ed awake next to her. "God damn it, Ed. Get up."

Ed's eyes slowly opened and asked, groggily, "What is it?"

"You were suppose to be gone an hour ago. Michael will be up soon. Get your ass going." She said to him in a panic.

Ed's eyes widened and he jumped out of her bed. He quickly got dressed as did Jasmine. They have been seeing each other for a couple month but decided to keep their relationship a secret. From the crew and from her son. She was worried how her son would handle it and they both worried how the crew would react about their Captain dating his new Lieutenant on the ship. They have done pretty well having a routine so the secret stayed safe. He was always out an hour before her son was up and a couple hours before they had to work. They acted completely normal at work. Never did small smirks or were never a little too touchy. Once they were outside those doors, she treated him as the Captain and he treated her as one of his officers. When they were off work but outside of the quarters, they still acted as they were only friends. They never tried to let anyone on what was really going on between them. But now they overslept and could cause her son to see him or a crew member to see him slipping out of her quarters and raise suspension. They got dressed and she opened the door from her bedroom. She looked around the living area and noticed Michael wasn't there. She looked back at him and whispered, "He isn't up. Now hurry before he gets up."

They both quietly and quickly rushed to the door. Just then Michael walked out and said, unphased about seeing Ed, "Morning mom. Morning Ed."

Jasmine breathed out, "Jesus." Then she asked her son as she knew him too well, "How long have you known?"

Michael only said, "A while." He went to the food synthesizer and got some cereal. "I know Captain Mercer has been staying over a lot. I hear when he comes in and I hear him leave early in the morning."

Ed slightly blushed at this. Jasmine asked almost shocked, "Why didn't you say anything?"

"Mom, I know I am a kid so I know that you didn't want to tell me for a reason, I wasn't going to bring it up." He only told her as he sat at the table.

She walked over to him and asked him, a little concerned, "And are you okay with this?"

Michael looked up at his mom, then at Ed. Ed looked at him as he wanted to know the answer as well. Michael smiled and looked back at his mother. "Yeah, mom. I like him. He is cool. And I know you smile more cause of him. So, yeah, I am okay with it, mom."

She smiled at this as did Ed. She moved a hand over his head as he began to eat. She bent down and kissed the top of his head. Then Ed said, "Jazzy, I really have to go."

She nodded and walked over to him. She put her hand on his chest and said, softly, "So, see you on the bridge?"

He smiled at her and nodded. Then he went to move in but stopped. He looked over at Michael as the boy ate his breakfast. Jasmine smiled. "It's okay to kiss me goodbye, Ed. He knows now."

He looked at her and moved in. He gave her a small kiss and then said, happily, "See you later."

Without another word, he walked out her quarters. Jasmine watched him leave and as soon as the doors closed, she turned to her son. She walked back over to him and smiled. "You are something else, kid. You knew this whole time and never said a word. Could have saved a lot of sneaking around if I would have known you were okay with this?"

Michael slightly chuckled as she sat down across from him at the table. She looked at him and said, "You know, you are too smart for your age."

Michael smiled. "You raised me, mom. I am just as smart as you."