Chapter 11 (Austen & Luna's POVs)

Surprise! I know it's been forever, and honestly, my only excuse is a killer case of writers block. However, I'm so glad so many of you have stuck around and have dealt with my horrible uploading ways lol Sorry, but this one's short. I'm going to try to upload more often, but the chapters may not be longer than 2 or 3 pages (sorry).

Anyways, enjoy!!

<3, Alina aka Lenny

LUNA'S POV

I felt a growl rip through my throat as I ran away as fast as I could from Austen.

How dare he? My first kiss ever...It wasn't anything like what I had heard or expected--it was pure magic. And then he just had to go and ruin our moment--"'We should probably head back now'"?! That was all he had to say? He acted as if it was an everyday thing, or worse, like it never even happened!

Lunis was upset at me, ripping at my surface, trying to get back to Austen, but I wasn't having it. I tried to get along with him as best as I could after the agonizing pain of his rejection and then this had to happen. I didn't regret initiating that kiss, but the pain that was radiating from my chest was almost unbearable. I ignored it as best as I could and pushed myself to the limit, my breaths coming out in heavy pants and my paws sinking into the snow, making the run that much harder.

It hadn't been that long since Austen's arrival, and already, I could feel the heartbreak start to set in. I'd keep trying, but I hoped for both our sakes that this...ordeal...wouldn't last long. I was starting to feel a bit weaker--not much, but it was still noticeable.

If a wolf met his or her mate and the claiming didn't occur within the day, the person and their wolf would begin to weaken. Mates take strength from one another and to be together, yet so far apart, was disasterous to their health. There had even been instances where both mates had died because they had neglected each other, too caught up in their previous relationships--though I couldn't see how that was possible; a bond between mates was the strongest there was and it was impossible to ignore.

I just prayed that everything would work itself out soon.

After another hour, I had blown all my steam, though the pain in my chest hadn't gone away in the least. When I got back to the pack house, it was like the night Austen arrived, all over again. Everyone was worried about me, running their hands over my body to make sure I was okay. Again, I didn't see Austen anywhere, but when I finished climbing the stairs, I saw him at the end of the hall, sitting on the floor next to my bedroom.

I stalked up to him and coldly asked, "What are you doing here?"

Austen quickly stood up and turned to me, his face a mask of nerves and panic. "Luna, I--I'm so sorry for hurting your feelings earlier, it's just that…I was overwhelmed and didn't know what to do. I know that isn't much of an excuse--it doesn't excuse what I did at all, but I hope you can understand and forgive me."

He gave me a small, sad smile and started to walk away. Before I lost my nerve, I grabbed his hand as he brushed past me, sending tingles up my spine. He stopped and looked back at me, his eyes curious. "I forgive you. I, um… Could you…" I shook my head before blurting, "Would you like to join me for a nap?" I let go of his hand when I saw rejection in them. Before he could say anything, I stuttered, "I-it's okay, you don't have to." I walked into my room and before I closed the door I whispered, "See you later."

As soon as I heard the click of the door closing, the sound of his retreating footsteps reached my ears. Slightly more heartbroken, I trudged my way to my bed, curling up into a ball while wishing that a certain someone would occupy the other side and keep me warm all night, every night, for the rest of our lives. But as everything stood, It looked like that dream was far off in the distance, if there was even a chance of it happening.

 AUSTEN'S POV

As I walked away from her room, I felt the tug of the bond telling me, begging me, to go back to my mate. I shouldn't have kissed Luna. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't put her in danger like that. But that kiss…it was incredible. I could tell it was her first, but damn if it didn't make me want to take her and make love to her all day and night for days on end. However, it was out of the question. I'd keep her safe. I had to. Getting closer to her would only hurt her, just as I had today.

However, that didn't mean I couldn't nap with her. If she was asleep, she wouldn't notice if I was there, if I wrapped my arms around her while she dreamed. I changed into some pajama pants and went back to Luna's room. I could hear her breathing was even, meaning she was asleep, so I quickly and quietly walked in, closed the door, and got under the comforter with her. Immediately, as if she could sense I was there, she snuggled into me; I couldn't help but wrap my arms around her and pull her close to me so I could savor the feel and smell of her while I had the chance.