Chapter 4

• Посвящена IBreakHearts, elenamoreno25

Hearing frantic voices and bustling around, Luna tried to open her eyes but they only fluttered open for a few seconds before closing again. The ache in her head was dull, slowly ebbing away and she took the opportunity to use her senses to figure out where she was. She distinctly smelled that wonderful scent she caught a whiff of in the hallway before she passed out. She could hear her parents and brother speaking in hushed but anxious tones, along with another she didn’t recognize. It was a deep, lazy, unmistakably sexy sound and Luna found herself sighing when she heard it. She couldn’t help but wonder if it belonged to the guy she ran into in the hallway, the one with the gorgeous hazel eyes.

            Using what strength she could muster, Luna opened her eyes and attempted to sit up. With a groggy voice, she asked, “How long have I been out?” Everyone’s head whipped around to stare at her and they all immediately rushed over to the bed she was sitting on, except for Hazel Eyes over there by the door.

            “Lulu!” Sam practically yelled, “About three hours, and what the hell were you thinking, passing out like that?!”

Luna snorted, being extremely un-ladylike. “Uh, Sammie, you don’t really have control over things like that, but just for you, I’ll apologize. Sammie, I’m sorry for getting a sudden headache and passing out unexpectedly in the hallway from the pain, scaring you half to death.” She retorted sarcastically, earning laughs in return.

“Har-har, very funny,” He said, but you could tell he was dying to laugh, the twitching of his lips giving him away, before he became serious. “But, really Lulu, is that what happened? That must’ve been one helluva headache to make you pass out like that.”

“Well, yeah. We were talking, we bumped into Hazel over there and then it just happened.” Luna replied, jerking her head in Hazel’s direction.

            Her mother sat on the edge of the bed, taking her daughter’s hands in her own as she spoke, “Sweetie, when exactly did the pain start? Was your wolf reacting abnormally?”

Luna suddenly became suspicious, her eyes narrowing as she said, “Exactly when I looked Hazel in the eyes. And, yeah, she was howling incessantly. It was annoying.”

Her mother hugged her tightly and began to sob, her father walked over to Hazel and patted him on the back, saying, “Welcome to the family, son,” and Sam was whooping and pulling out his phone to call Rebecca, his mate, who was still at the college campus.

It was a little much, and to top it off, Luna’s wolf wouldn’t stop howling. She yelled at it to shut up and everyone stilled. “Sorry, it’s Lunis, she won’t stop howling and it’s becoming annoying. Quite frankly, all of you guys aren’t making this any better. And dad, what’s up with the whole, ‘Welcome to the family, son,’?”

They all shared a look and Luna had a feeling something bad was going to happen. Whether it was sooner rather than later or vice versa, she had no idea but it was coming nonetheless. She trained her eyes on her mother and asked for an explanation.

“Luna, dear, you’ve finally found him, after two years!” Luna rolled her eyes, Thanks for rubbing it in, Mother.

“Mother, you’re still not making sense. Found who?”

“Austen, Luna. Austen is your mate.” She squealed, pointing at Hazel.

She could have sworn her heart stopped when her mother finished speaking, before kick-starting and beating double-time. Her mouth went dry, palms sweaty, and she slowly directed her eyes to Hazel’s—no, Austen’s. Austen. She liked it, a lot. When they met, she felt some sort of current run through her and she would have sworn she was crazy but had the feeling that it was real.