― f o u r. You Don't Know Me

Start from the beginning

     "Evening, Pop," I greeted back. "You should really get rid of that bell it's triggering bad memories."

     "Sorry bout' that," says Pop. "What can I get you?"

     "A double polar burger with everything and two turkey burgers. To-go," I ordered.

      Pop took down my order on a piece of paper. "Sure thing, Kenna. Your order will be right up," said Pop before he left to attend other diners.

     I could feel the tension building up between Sweet Pea and I. By the looks of it, he was vexed to have me judging him, and vice versa. One of us was going to break and start a fucking riot. I knew it was a bad idea to fight for my brother, now I'm dragged into the same mess he is in.

     I should probably move now before his other Serpent friends come after me as well. It would be very obvious if I moved now though, and I did not want to make him even more angry than he already is.

     I had to face him now or never, or we were just going to spend forever chasing our tails. I didn't need Lzzy to tell him to lay off of me. I can do that myself.

     "I can literally hear you rolling your eyes," I finally said a word.

     He sniggered. "You Northsiders always get away with everything."

     Was that what this was about?

     I got annoyed. "That's just prejudicial," I replied. "I'm sorry if Northsiders had treated you badly, but I'm not like that."

     "Did you know that after the fight, the Serpents got called in by the police?" He turned his posture to face me, "While the Northsiders got away scot free?"

     I stared at him, not knowing what to say. Because I actually did not know that.

     "You didn't know that, did you?"

     "No."

     I understood his anger towards the Northside, but honestly I didn't know that that has been happening. It was unfair that the Southside was being treated like this. I felt bad.

     "That's really unfair," I admitted.

     "That's prejudicial," he said.

     I sighed. "Look, I'm sorry. Okay? But how many times must I say for it to get into that thick skull of yours? I did not attack the Serpents. Just you because you were beating up my brother. So don't bring me into the Northsider and Serpent drama."

      "You think you're so smart, huh?" He furrowed his brows, and stood more upright.

     I took a step closer towards him, "Well unlike you, my name doesn't represent the size of my brain―"

     Sweet Pea clenched his fists, ready to square up. His face boiling with anger. I did not regret a word I said. For once I was standing up for myself without anyone else intervening.

     "―Hey kids," Pop stepped in, "if you're gonna fight, please take it outside," He must have overheard our conversation.

     I took my eyes off of Sweet Pea and turned to face Pop. "Sorry, Pop," I apologised.

     "By the way," continued Pop, "how's your dad doing, Kenna?" Pop glanced back suspiciously at Sweet Pea once in a while.

     "He's fine now but still recovering," I replied. "Which is why he sent me here to get dinner."

     Pop sighed. "I can never thank him enough for standing up to the Black Hood."

     I nodded.

     "Your order will be ready soon," said Pop. He glanced back and forth from Sweet Pea to me, "You two better not cause any trouble."

     Thankfully Pop stepped in before things got out of hand. I pretty much pushed Sweet Pea over the edge with that last line. I still don't regret anything. I stared into space, waiting for time to go by faster.

     The door bell rang which cut off my train of thought, and made me cringe. Can't believe the door bell is my kryptonite. I wanted to get out of here as soon as possible.

     As much as I hate to agree, the prejudice towards the Southside was just uncalled for. Why were they even targeted for? Because they have drugs and crime? Northside is no fucking different and I hate that it is being pushed under the rug. They did not deserve this kind of treatment.

     I hated myself for being dragged into this drama. I didn't want to be seen as the Northsider who gets away with tormenting the Southside, they already have enough. I just wanted to clear things up.

Pop came by the counter again with Sweet Pea's order. Sweet Pea paid for the meal and I heard him faintly mutter, "I'm paying for her meal as well."

What.

Is that 'her' he said referring to me?

I turned my head to catch a glimpse of Sweet Pea and he was staring at me. Our eyes locked together. He took his order and walked towards the double doors where we broke our gaze.

"He paid for your meal, Kenna," said Pop when he noticed me glancing around confusingly.

But why? Did he totally forget the part where I insulted him or was he just funning?

Well honestly I shouldn't think much of it, he did pay for my meal and who could refuse free food?