"I'm sorry Tony, I am, but there's no going back, for any of us, and if you can't be a friend, without hurting her... then you need to let her go," Steve urged softly, knowing it wasn't going to be easy walking away from years of love and friendship. It was going to hurt something fierce for both of them, especially for (y/n), and she had already lost too much.
"I know, but I made her a promise..." Tony croaked, remembering a cold night almost eleven years ago when he heard her screaming in her sleep. She had fallen asleep in his lab on one of the couches, yelling out for her dead parents. He made her a promise that night as she cried into his shirt, promising he would be there to catch her, help her, and protect her. He knew how strong she was, but everyone has their breaking point, and he had witnessed quite a few of hers, firsthand. That promise meant something to him, as well as the promise she made to him, to be there for him, and he didn't want to break it.
"Well, you may have to break it, at least till you get your head out of your ass," Steve harped, moving forward when the door opened, and Phil walked in, sans (y/n), "where's my wife?"
"My daughter is on her way home to rest, no thanks to any of you," Phil growled, feeling his anger quickly return, as he put his hands up to stop Steve and Tony from talking, "I've already layed into Barnes, Natasha, and Banner, but I honestly don't know what the hell is wrong with you Stark.."
"Save your speech, I've already heard it from Steve and Natasha," Tony sighed utterly defeated, and put his head down.
Steve was right, about everything, and his heart was breaking for it. He had always hoped one day he would wake up, and his feelings for his best friend, just, wouldn't be there anymore, it seemed to be getting closer to that once he let Pep in, but after she told him she understood why Natasha did what she did, all because he had done the same to her, he lost it. Anger and remorse forced everything out, even though he regretted it once he heard the shock in her voice and saw the sadness in her eyes. Now he would be left with nothing, all because of his ego and his inability to let her go.
"Get out of here before I fire your ass," Phil muttered, crossing his arms over his chest, surprising Steve.
"Yes sir," Tony answered, leaving the room without a word, ignoring Steve calling his name, "FRIDAY find Pepper for me, please, and take my name off the mission list. I need some time off."
"Yes sir, coordinates are being sent too your suit," FRIDAY replied quickly, "I'm sorry boss."

I opened the front door, and stood in the foyer of the place Steve and I had called home for over two years now. My stomach was in knots, and my body hurt, even after the pain pills my dad urged me to take before I headed home.
I screamed into the empty room and threw my unused weapons against the wall, sinking down to the floor.
On the drive over here my heart sank in my chest as I repeated what Tony said, and later my dad. Phil was right, promises could be broken, my dead parents were a prime example of that, but for Tony's sake, I would forgive his broken promise, and let him go. Hoping my dad's words about time, rang true.
I had to pull over before I reached home when I really thought about not talking to Tony everyday, or seeing his face, but if time... I..I couldn't be responsible for hurting him over and over again, not anymore, because my place was next to Steve, it's always been, and Tony's friendship wasn't going to change that.
"Steve....." I whispered, letting the memories of our weekend brush over my mind and skin. The thought of living without my husband scared me more than anything, more than losing Tony, and I should of felt even more awful, but all I wanted, in that moment, as I looked around our living room, was my husband.
I needed his strength, his warmth, and love. I needed him to catch me, and keep me from falling down that dark hole that had opened up inside me.
I needed him now.