Chapter 17

The next day passed by in silence. Erik wasn't playing his organ as usual and Y/N was sitting at her desk, leaning her head in her hands. She didn't even want to think about Philippe. How could he be so ridiculous?

Y/N's lip curled down in disgust and she rubbed her mouth for what seemed like the millionth time. She would do whatever it takes to get the germs of Philippe off of her. She felt like small, invisible bugs were crawling up and down every inch that Philippe touched. They seemed to pester Y/N the most on the mouth. There, they crawled over it like vultures on their prey.

Face contorted in anger and disgust, Y/N remembered the events of last night after Philippe and her left the roof.

~

Philippe had his hand tightly bound on Y/N's arm and his mouth sported a grin that showed off his terrible teeth.

"Thank you, Y/N," he said, leaning in to kiss her.

Y/N stopped him by putting a hand on his chest. "Philippe, stop it," she protested. "This is completely ridiculous. The least you could do is actually ask for my permission before shoving that horrid thing on my finger."

Philippe sighed over-dramatically. "Fine then. What is your answer? Do I have your consent to marry you? Do I need your mother's permission?" he asked.

Y/N's calm face broke into an angered one. She slapped Philippe across the face, leaving a dark, red mark on his pale cheek. "No, I will not marry you, and as you already know, I do not know where my mother is. I do not know if she's dead or alive, sick or healthy. All I know is that I miss her and I love her very much still, and I will not have some cold hearted, terrible-mannered, rude, greedy, manipulative rich boy take that from me. My heart is already stolen, Philippe. It belongs in the hands of a man whom I love very deeply, a love which cannot be broken, no matter what terrible man stands in my way," Y/N said.

Philippe huffed out a deep breath. "Fine. Fine then. Go, leave, just give me back the ring. It costed a fortune."

Y/N scoffed and slipped the ring off of her finger, the ring which was as cold has Philippe, and put it in his waiting palm. "Have your ring. It does me no good to look at it. All I feel is hatred when I do," she spat.

Philippe looked at her with an angry frown and turned away. "You will not forget this," he promised. "I'll make sure of it."

Y/N scoffed at him once more as he walked off, letting the words settle into her body. Those words left a thought which was simply unthinkable but yet possible. It caused a horrified look to enter her face and a shiver to run down her spine. This was going to be awful.

~

Y/N sighed and got out of her chair, walking to her usual spot by the organ. She sat down in her seat and sat, waiting for Erik to notice her and to join her. She tapped her fingers, keeping her perfect posture intact. She tapped her fingers anxiously until Erik arrive. She only stopped when she heard his footsteps echoing in the lair. She turned her head to look at Erik, who was sitting down on the bench in front of his organ.

"Hello," said Y/N.

Erik drew a shaky breath, looking solemnly down to his lap. "Hello," he replied. He expected to see a glimmer of the huge engagement ring upon her finger, but he saw nothing. He was just greeted with the rather normal sight of Y/N sitting in her seat, waiting patiently for Erik to speak. He pointed to her finger. "So.... what happened?" he asked.

A small smile graced Y/N's lips. "I loathe that man with every fiber of my being. He is terrible, greedy, and cold, and I can't stand him let alone a mere thought of him," she explained to Erik, who was trying his best not to break out into a grin.

"I see," Erik said, looking at the floor still, trying to suppress a grin. "Well, then I guess if this... whatever it is between you and Philippe is over, I can tell you that-"

The sound of the door to the opera house opening grabbed Y/N and Erik's attention, making their bodies stiffen with fear, especially Y/N's. He was here.

~

A/N: I thought that I might as well update early. I know this chapter is short, and I'm sorry for that. I will be updating sooner than usual, and if everything works out as I think it will, I am sure that I will be able to. This story is nearing its end, but there will still be more chapters, I promise. Until next time!