Lifting her hand, she hesitantly reached out to run her fingers through his hair. She always knew that it would be soft to touch. If things turned out to be different between her and Gray, would it be worse than this? Would they be hurting like this?

Gray lifted his head a bit to lock gazes with Harley. "Don't be like this. I'm sorry. Just please..." He murmured. He didn't know what he was pleading for. All he wanted was to see her smile.

"What are you even sorry for?"

"I should have come home."

She shook her head, "Then what? Tell me, would everything even matter? It's nobody's fault. I chose to live this way, Gray."

"Of course it matters!" He cried out, finding it impossibly irritating that he's being pushed away. "Can't you see? I care about you a lot. Hell, I'm in love with you. I always have, Harley."

I'm in love with you.

His words that she had waited to hear since echoed through her head

His words that she had waited to hear since echoed through her head. This sick twisted romance that found satisfaction in breaking her more into a million pieces was too much for her to handle already. It was making her sick to the stomach.

What more could the heart want?

'You know what or rather who,' her inner voice interjected.

"Harley, I'm in love with you." Gray then repeated, firmly this time.

She just blinked. Once. Twice. Thrice. This was the part when she has to say back an 'I love you too,' right? No words came out from her mouth as she waited for it all to sink in.

"Please say something." Gray was growing nervous. Of course, he didn't expect her to get the love in return right away but he knew it was there. Somewhere, hopefully.

Harley reached out to grab both of his hands. She lingered for quite some time, brushing her thumb onto his palm soothingly before she raised her head to look into his eyes. A sad smile appeared on her face. With that, Gray discerned that it wasn't the answer he was looking for.

"If things were different, I would have said it back," she murmured as she brought one of his hands to her lips, feather kissing it. Gray shivered from the intimacy which made him stand from his position on the floor to sit beside Harley. He needed her close.

They were now inches apart. Gray couldn't help himself but he was still being careful with her. He kissed her forehead which earned Harley to close her eyes and not feel the loneliness for the first time in a while. She sighed in content but then again felt guilty for even feeling this way. It wasn't fair to Nate. Harley felt that whatever Nate had to go through should also be the same for her. She wanted to absorb his pain and take all the responsibility for it. It was the least she could do to let his soul rest in peace.