15. "Solve It."

Depuis le début

"The invisible man could do it."

"The who, the what, the why, the when, the where?" Sherlock said all this in what seemed to be less than a second.

"The invisible man with the invisible knife. The one who tried to kill the Guardsman."

My mouth dropped. Sherlock straightened up. He had to be running the boy's theory through his head. I saw Major Sholto head for the door.

"Oh, not just planned. Planned and rehearsed," Sherlock murmured. Sherlock glided back to our table, snatching a champagne glass from off the table. He turned around to face the guests. "Ladies and gentlemen, there will now be a short interlude. The bride and groom!"

"The bride and groom," everyone repeated, a little uncertain as they rose.

I tried to listen to what Sherlock was saying to Dad, but he went too fast. Before I knew it, he was pushing through guests.

"'Scuse me, coming through!" he announced.

I realized Major Sholto had disappeared entirely from the reception room. Sherlock must've gotten it through to him that he was in danger. I felt Dad brush past me. Instantly, with the need like a puppy, I jumped out of my seat hurrying behind him.

"Rachel, go back," he hissed.

"No chance. Sorry, excuse us," I told people as we made our way through. "I go where you go."

"People will get suspicious."

"People are too confused to be suspicious right now."

"Now isn't the time to be reckless. Go back."

I grabbed a hold of my dad's arm. "Like I said, no chance."

With Dad leading me, I followed him, and together we went after Sherlock. We found him quickly; he was partway up a staircase.

"We need to find out which room he's in," I suggested.

"Sherlock should know."

Sherlock had his eyes shut tight, his fingers at his temples. "I can't remember the room."

My nails bit into my palms. "Really? The time when you need to remember a room number and you come up blank?"

"How can you not remember which room?" Dad added. "You remember everything!"

"I have to delete something!" Sherlock growled irritably.

"Two oh seven." Out of nowhere, Mary came into the picture. She held up her dress with a hand so she wouldn't trip over it. She hustled up the stairs. We three exchanged a second look before we all trailed after her. Sherlock took lead, while Mary grabbed a hold of my dad. I was left in the rear, picking up some of my dress.

We finally got to our destination: second floor, room 207. Sherlock was the first to reach the door. He knocked and tried the handle.

"Major Sholto?" He rattled the handle. "Major Sholto!" I cringed as he slammed his hand repeatedly against the door. "Major Sholto!"

"Christ, Sherlock!" I shouted. "I know it's life or death here—"

"Now isn't the time for a smart remark, Rachel!"

I clamped my mouth shut.

"If someone's about to make an attempt on my life, it won't be the first time," the Major said through the other side of the door. "I'm ready."

Dad tried his attempt, walking to the door. "Major, let us in."

"Kick the door down," Mary suggested.