~Countess 1~

The beginning of my life...it wasn't pleasant.

Rape, is never pleasant. The brutality of men has never been. I remember their faces, even now I can recall the smell of the sweat of their skin and the continued sound of their voices.

Though time has passed, and they are now powder beneath the feet of strangers, I can still feel their assaulting eagerness to wound me.

Luckily, or unluckily, depending on whom you spoke with. Being turned into a vampire surely was god giving me a second chance, a second chance at life.

A life bound to the night sure, but another life nonetheless. He also provided me a master, a man who approached the wound blood covered me with ease. They'd dumped my broken body into the bushes, and had left me with the shreds of the gown I worked so hard as a yarn girl for.

The town I'd lived in had, had its racist boys. They stood near the local bar, their faces mulish and countenance filled with a certain bitterness that only pushing someone else around alleviated.

When these white boys saw negro's, they were the first ones to run forward, and attempt to push their skin authority on us. These same boys had managed to catch me alone, and without my older brother. I guess I'd forgotten for a second that this town wasn't all peace an flowers, for a regretful second I let my joy and hope for the world take away my natural instincts, sadly it was too late when I realized the mistake I'd made.

**

On the day I awoke the world was black.

Eyes were hard to open, mouth was hard to move. Felt like my entire body had been hit by ton of stone. The cold morning mist felt wet against my skin, the bones that rested underneath cracked and popped as I attempted to move.

Like a new born babe, I crawled from under the bush, my nails biting into the dirt as I inched myself further and further away from my 'death-seat', the smell of water hovered in the air. The aches slowly abated, but the long-learned movements of previous life seemed foreign.

As all I'd been left with was awareness, an awareness of the swaying branches and gurgling water. The scent of wind, woodland and water.

When sight finally returned, those lids that no longer felt like heavy curtains fluttered before rising. Crimson splatters welcomed my gaze, as if painted on me by a mad artist. I was covered, the me who'd have screamed and screamed in fear; was gone. The new me only stared in deep concentration at the reflection, a curios wave of humor force those unfamiliar lips to quirk.

"It appears you are what I seek."

Those words weren't spoke loudly, only they sounded like shout in such a still and tranquil place. Pushing off the ground, I rested back on my haunches and stared at the male. He seemed out of place in the wild setting, thought one could say I was also out of place.

He peered down at me, with a haughty expression. The smooth pale skin, and roman nose, was striking in the bare light of the rising sun. His clothing was well made, and...English? The reminded me of the books of man's fashion, my brother had me look through to make him a coat.

"...Who are you?" The question came before I knew I could talk. It took me by surprise, and I found myself covering my mouth with a small gasp.

He sniffed, pulling a handkerchief from his inner coat pocket, moving forward her held it out towards me. "You're processor."

I let my hands slide from my mouth, and took the handkerchief from him, with a small nod.

Stiffly, he retreated and step and looked away from me, as I dipped it into the water and began to wipe away the dirt, dried tears and blood from my face.

"When a vampire is born, it is our job to welcome them and teach them their new life." He sniffed, glancing at me. "I was not expecting one to be born so soon after the countess died, but it's to be expected. Her seat cannot remain empty forever."

Once I was done I peered at my face, it was young and filled with an innocent flair. The nose was tipped slightly, and the corner of my eyes were pinched. I smiled, and the thick lips revealed white teeth, one slightly tilted.

"Now if you're finished with bathing, I will escort you to your new home."

I nodded, taking the hand, he'd held out for me. It struck me as startling, as to how easily I went along with him. As he escorted from the sight of my death, and the horrendous crime. Like the innocent sheep, I followed him into the darkness of the rising sun.

**

"Is she to be the new countess?"

The question was asked as the shadows drifted away like clouds, and I found myself standing before an impressive manor. Each window was filled with a golden light, the rocks that made up the drive pressed into my heels. The dark-grey brick was charming, and held a bit of rustic feel.

As I continued to look about my new surroundings, I ceased to listen to the words that past between the man who'd gotten me, and the woman who now called my attention.

Eyes of a black-grey color, narrowed on my face. Before they skimmed along my chin, torn gown and landed on my bare, dirt covered toes. Those eyes turned from me towards the male, the pinched lips twisting to show displeasure, "She was wood born?"

"Yes," the man said, moving forward so that he and I, were closer to the short, elderly women. Whose gnarled fingers twisted around the short cane she held in one hand. "The birth happened almost in the exact manner as the previous royal."

She scoffed, "At least her predecessor was felled during battle," she sent me a distasteful look, "How did this one die? Hmm, scorn lover."

Anger rolled through me, a cloying rage forced my lips to part. "If being raped by four man implies romance, then your idea of love is far different than my own."

Her expression froze, and her eyes squinted, her lips trembled slightly.

"Dismonde, as you can see her spirit is similar to the others," The man said, the humor in his making me smile.

She sniffed,  side eyeing me but I could see that admiration now laid there. "Well, come along we don't have much time to prepare you for your new role in life."

I glanced at the man who'd called himself my processor, he merely nodded taping the edge of his hat before he turned away, dissolving before my eyes.

"He will be back," the old women sat, banging her cane against the top step. "You were assigned to him, and as such he will return to see you progress."

I nodded ascending the stairs, the sensation of cold melted once I reached the top landing. "...And what is it I'm being trained for?" I asked, looking down at Dismonde.

She smiled, her eyes appearing none human. "Why to be a Countess of course."

She reached up taking my hand leading into the dark caverns of the mansion.