58 | british vogue article

MEET THE NEW BRITISH 'IT' GIRL, MAISIE CARLSON

maisie carlson, born in brighton england, 20 years old

maisie started her youtube channel when she was fifteen years old, when she was seventeen, she got noticed by her agent Lindsey Temple. after this, it was all up from here.

we got the chance to sit down with maisie for a little chat over a cupper and cake.

"lets time travel back to the past for a second, so you started your youtube channel when you were fifteen years old, what was the reasoning behind this?"

"well, like everyone and their mums of youtube, high school wasnt the best place for me. i didnt have many friends and the people i was friends with, were just school friends, i guess. i didn't know what i wanted to do with myself at that point of my life. everyone at school was talking about college, university and i had no idea what i wanted to do. i was always a big fan of acting, but i never took drama at high school because of how shy i was. i hated being in front of the camera believe it or not. i was the quiet girl. i guess you could say i was an outcast with no friends.

i started a youtube channel randomly one day after school. i was just so bored of biology homework and wanted to do something, so thats exactly what i did. i made random videos, i pretended to be good at make up, soon to find out i genuinely had no care for beauty. i found a love for fashion and once i left school i branched out and did a few short films with a few youtubers i got to know through the community."

"what was the reaction of the people you went to school with when they found out about your youtube channel?"

"it wasnt very pleasant, to say the least, [laughs maisie] i just remember one day going into english and having a supply teacher and one of the kids started blaring one of my videos on the board and all the kids, even the supply teacher, laughing and mocking me, i may have possibly ran out crying."

"thats awful! how did you handle things after that at school? did they get better or worse?"

"yeah it was awful. i guess it stayed like that until i left high school. i was a joke i guess and thinking back at it, yeah its funny but, its also bullying. but also no teachers took it seriously because putting yourself on youtube was a weird thing back when i was a kid compared to how popular it is now. i remember one teacher telling me that the problems i gain from having a youtube channel was my fault because i chose to put myself on the internet - which i guess is true, but also no one deserves to be treated like that and no one deserves to feel like its their fault."