If I did, he'd only crush me, just like everyone else.

I slowed to a trot as I neared the house again, peering past the trees at the house. They probably already finished dinner by now. I knew Cal was upset with me. He'd try to talk to me again, rip another stone off the wall, but I wasn't going to let him.

I'd have to ignore him now.

I was in the danger zone.

I'd slipped up almost three times today. Cal saw the openings and he was trying to get inside, but I wasn't going to let him. It would kill me.

My soul died once.

It wasn't going to die again.

I kept that in mind as I changed into a human and slipped in through the front door, heading upstairs. I started to head to my room, but slowed to a stop when I heard Cal's voice. I frowned and tilted my head, pressing myself against the wall near the door.

I wasn't normally an eavesdropper, but when it came to Cal, I had to know. I had to know what he was planning next. Whether he was going to flat out leave me or attack me again.

"It's just not fair," Cal was saying, sounding so heartbroken it made my chest ache involuntarily, "I love him, Aidan. I really honestly do, but he won't let me. I asked him earlier if he loved me back, but he didn't answer me. I don't think we're mates, Aidan. I really don't and if we are, it's one-sided. Rylan only feeds on me for strength and that's it."

"Don't say that," Aidan tried, the sound of his footsteps moving away from the doorway, "He... He's just rough around the edges. Raven... tried to explain to me that Rylan's just scared of losing you."

"He has a crappy way of showing it." Cal managed. I swore I heard the tears in his voice and I winced as if he had kicked me. I sank low to the floor, crouching and pressing my hand over my forehead, my other resting on my knee as I listened.

"Did you try talking to him?" Aidan asked.

"Yea, but it doesn't last long. For a second, I think I have his attention and honesty, then he suddenly freaks out on me and takes off. It's like he thinks he's weak by doing so." Cal explained painfully. He hit the nail on the head, I thought bitterly.

I was smart in my methods.

I was weak when I opened myself up to people. Why the fuck do you think I built the wall in the first place?

"Maybe he's bipolar." Aidan suggested. I heard Cal give a half-hearted laugh and I rolled my eyes, then paused to stare down the hallway with a scowl. I wasn't bipolar. I was just cautious, unlike everyone else.

Well, at least, I tried to be. It was hard being the bad guy.

Like the saying goes, "nice guys finish last".

I stood up as they continued talking, then pretended that I had just gotten there and walked in. Aidan almost leapt through the room when he saw me walk in, stark naked. He bleghed.

"Eugh! Where are you clothes? Don't flaunt your dong!" He complained, covering his eyes and looking at Cal from behind them. Cal gave him an obviously fake smile, then got up and went to the wardrobe, fetching me my clothes. Aidan got off the bed, still shielding his eyes.

"Nice talkin' with you, Cal. Good luck." He snorted.

"Hope Skye feels better." Cal called back and Aidan said his thanks before vanishing out the door, speeding down the hallway to his room. My eyes followed him for a second before I turned back to Cal, who handed me my clothes all folded up.

He wasn't looking at me.

He was avoiding my eyes, looking down at the clothes. I frowned, taking them from him and using my foot to shut the door before I locked it. I dropped my clothes on the bed, studying them for a moment before looking at Cal, who was looking through the wardrobe.